What's new

What does choosing both a 2.4mhz & 5mhz network on the RP-AX56/58 actually do?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Brad H

Regular Contributor
I'm just trying to figure out exactly what connecting the extender to both a 2.4 mhz & 5 mhz connection from one router does. Since it is only assigned one IP address, I assume it is not connected to both bands at the same time. Does it switch between bands based on signal strength? I feel like this might be obvious & I'm just not getting it.

I suspect it decides and connects to the one best band for wireless backhaul, like a wireless AiMesh node does. Wireless AiMesh nodes are essentially smarter repeaters.... now current model Repeaters are becoming wireless AiMesh nodes(?).

OE

I was thinking the same but I think if that was the case, there would be a way to control which band it uses and when it jumps to the other, sort of like the Smart Connect rules. The lack of controls and the fact that I've never seen it connect to my second choice (2.4) even if the 5mhz signal gets weak makes me think that it doesn't switch bands.

This is definitely a question coming from curiosity, not a problem. I would just like to understand what connecting on both bands actually does. I wish the interface explained why you should (& maybe shouldn't) have a connection selected for both bands.

I was thinking the same but I think if that was the case, there would be a way to control which band it uses and when it jumps to the other, sort of like the Smart Connect rules. The lack of controls and the fact that I've never seen it connect to my second choice (2.4) even if the 5mhz signal gets weak makes me think that it doesn't switch bands.

This is definitely a question coming from curiosity, not a problem. I would just like to understand what connecting on both bands actually does. I wish the interface explained why you should (& maybe shouldn't) have a connection selected for both bands.

I think it may act like a wireless AiMesh node and stay connected to the best connection. It won't behave like a typical wireless client with less hardware capability... it will connect with the capability of another wireless router... generally speaking, I would expect it to connect and stick to the 5.0 band until that band fails; then failover (self-heal) to the 2.4 band.

OE

RP-AX56/58 are indeed AiMesh compatible extenders. I personally never had one in my hands, but some of the folks around use them successfully as AiMesh nodes. As hardware they are similar to entry level routers, BCM6755/56 with 2x integrated radios and enough for the purpose 256MB RAM.

I think it may act like a wireless AiMesh node and stay connected to the best connection. It won't behave like a typical wireless client with less hardware capability... it will connect with the capability of another wireless router... generally speaking, I would expect it to connect and stick to the 5.0 band until that band fails; then failover (self-heal) to the 2.4 band.

OE
I have similar thoughts about routers.

Despite the long list of fancy features in most routers & mobile devices, AFAIK, there is still no feature to bump the user from the 2.4 GHz onto the faster 5 GHz.

Left to it's own devices, my phone will usually be on the 2.4 GHz. No surprise, as if I walk out of range & then return, surely the 2.4 GHz is the first thing it sees ?

I currently solve that by only entering the 5 GHz password. My mobile data does the job when my phone is in the garden & out of range of WiFi.

If there is some feature that allows me to select the 5 GHz as "preferred", I'd like to know about it. If there is not, I consider this to be a serious deficiency.

I have similar thoughts about routers.

You should start your own thread, this topic is about repeaters.

Despite the long list of fancy features in most routers & mobile devices, AFAIK, there is still no feature to bump the user from the 2.4 GHz onto the faster 5 GHz.

Clients decide. Smart Connect can help.

Left to it's own devices, my phone will usually be on the 2.4 GHz. No surprise, as if I walk out of range & then return, surely the 2.4 GHz is the first thing it sees ?

I have a laptop that never connects to the 2.4 band. I tested it on both bands at various distances out to beyond 350 feet... it always prefers the 5.0 band, a better connection at any distance out into my neighbors yard.

If there is some feature that allows me to select the 5 GHz as "preferred", I'd like to know about it. If there is not, I consider this to be a serious deficiency.

Some client adapter drivers offer a 'preferred band' setting. Many do not. Maybe you need a new phone.

OE

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!