What's new

What is dual core ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Again, I understand that you now own the ac66u., right ? Do you have any problem with it ?

No. Then everything is perfect as it is.
Yes. 2 Asus more powerful (in fact 3) devices are available, depending of the size of your home:
-ac56u
-ac68u

That's about it.

What's the diff between ac56u and ac68u there both dual core? But read the ac56u wirless sucks and at time it can overheat

• ac56u: internal antennas (2 for each band, therefore limiting theoretical ac speed)
  • ac68u: 3 external antennas

I think that everything has been said ? Are we turning around in circles ?

current routers dont have to be dualcore. Take single core PPCs and x86s for example.

Aside from reliability, features and firmware, when it comes to hardware there are 3 things to look at. How much bandwidth can it route? How much latency does it take to route your packets? In this case a dual core router may not have an advantage over a single core router if the CPU latency of the dual core is higher. The last thing to look at are special hardware accelerators. the broadcom dual core ARM have NAT acceleration but have special circumstances in that you cannot use QoS with it. This means that if you use it within a multi user/application environment and need to route more than 500Mb/s you will be out of luck.

This is why i like the mikrotik CCR. Ports connected to CPU directly for low latency with very fast CPU routing and hardware acceleration for encryption. I can use all the features i want and not have to worry about special circumstances.

Take a look at the specs and see how it fits in what you want to do. Many stream ACs for example are only useful when they are used for bridging between APs. I have yet to see a multi stream AC AP divide its stream between multiple users such as if you had 6 streams of ACs and 3x 2stream clients that they will not have to share the bandwidth/airtime.

Last edited:
current routers dont have to be dualcore. Take single core PPCs and x86s for example.

Aside from reliability, features and firmware, when it comes to hardware there are 3 things to look at. How much bandwidth can it route? How much latency does it take to route your packets? In this case a dual core router may not have an advantage over a single core router if the CPU latency of the dual core is higher. The last thing to look at are special hardware accelerators. the broadcom dual core ARM have NAT acceleration but have special circumstances in that you cannot use QoS with it. This means that if you use it within a multi user/application environment and need to route more than 500Mb/s you will be out of luck.

This is why i like the mikrotik CCR. Ports connected to CPU directly for low latency with very fast CPU routing and hardware acceleration for encryption. I can use all the features i want and not have to worry about special circumstances.

Take a look at the specs and see how it fits in what you want to do. Many stream ACs for example are only useful when they are used for bridging between APs. I have yet to see a multi stream AC AP divide its stream between multiple users such as if you had 6 streams of ACs and 3x 2stream clients that they will not have to share the bandwidth/airtime.
...and what does this add to the OP, to the non technical user ? How does this help him ? I'm sure you don't want to confuse him. What do you suggest to him ?

You could be right.. ☺

I think some "Guru" around here should make a sticky post, or as a colaborative work, like "How to buy a new router" to cover every single aspect one should take into account, what questions one should ask himself, how to compare what they get with what they have etc. I know this is hard but I think it will make the newer posts more constructive and better focused on certain aspects or problems :D

I think some "Guru" around here should make a sticky post, or as a colaborative work, like "How to buy a new router" to cover every single aspect one should take into account, what questions one should ask himself, how to compare what they get with what they have etc. I know this is hard but I think it will make the newer posts more constructive and better focused on certain aspects or problems :D

There's a whole sub-forum here on SNB dedicated to Buying advices.

The point is that this is a router that a lot of us have been waiting for, and Amazon has now issued a date when it will be offered for sale (Jan 26, 2015).

That's the point.

I hope not too many people will come and interpret Jim for us, as did the Apostles in the New Testament...;) I think Jim previously answered by himself that question, didn't he ?
Just pointing out the latest and greatest maybe that will satisfy the OP. ;)

Originally Posted by enr00ted
I think some "Guru" around here should make a sticky post, or as a colaborative work, like "How to buy a new router" to cover every single aspect one should take into account, what questions one should ask himself, how to compare what they get with what they have etc. I know this is hard but I think it will make the newer posts more constructive and better focused on certain aspects or problems
Just in case:
There's a whole sub-forum here on SNB dedicated to Buying advices.
:http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28

and also, here on smalnetbuilder.com:

Router charts: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/view
Router ranker: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/rankers/router/view
Router chooser: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/router-chooser/chooser

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...316-how-to-buy-a-wireless-router-2014-edition

My god that was the most realistic article I've seen. Many of us who reply here should read it. I'm sorry I haven't, I thought that "read me thread" was some sort of forum rules. :p

Tim doesn't tend to sugar coat his opinion just for the sake of pleasing manufacturers. When something is overkill and unnecessary for a normal user, he's very clear about it :)

Personally, I've worked with the N66, AC66, AC56, AC68 and now AC87. If I had to buy one of these for myself, my choice would be the RT-AC56. Its CPU would be handy for my OpenVPN uses, and none of my 802.11ac clients are above 2x2, so that would fit this model's wifi support.

If I had to buy one of these for myself, my choice would be the RT-AC56. Its CPU would be handy for my OpenVPN uses, and none of my 802.11ac clients are above 2x2, so that would fit this model's wifi support.

Neither are mine, but then I got scared by the horde of users complaining about the 2.4GHz problems with that model.

Personally, I've worked with the N66, AC66, AC56, AC68 and now AC87.

So can I assume you'll eventually get the 3200 aka "Tarantula" :D ?

Neither are mine, but then I got scared by the horde of users complaining about the 2.4GHz problems with that model.

Quite frankly, take any router from any manufacturer, and you can easily find complains about wifi performance. The problem is with the wifi technology itself, and the problems are common regardless of the router.

So can I assume you'll eventually get the 3200 aka "Tarantula" :D ?

Unsure yet.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!