What's new

What router to buy and which? Gaming and Streaming

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cazzoi

Regular Contributor
Hi all.

atm im looking for a router with best proforme for gaming and streaming twitch for PS4. and for movies. but im so comfused with all of em what is good and what is not. atm i got a netgear WDR4500 and looking to replace the router. atm i got some problems watcing netflix on PS4 with all the buffering pxiels. and idk why. but im kinda looking for a good router out there. but i dont know which one. what would fit best for me.

i got a 2 room anpartment. hmm about 613.54 square feet is the apartment and in the bedroom it have some problem reaching in there.

i got fibre internet and it is 100mb download speed and 100mb upload speed

The things i use mostly is my: NAS Synology and my PS4 and streaming on twitch (better quality if possible). and of cos my computer. and my iphone and ipad and and my blu ray player.

ASUS RT-AC87U and the ASUS RT-AC68U and NETGEAR R7000 but im leaning more over to the ASUS RT-AC68U but i dont know

so i was hoping someone could point me the right way. cos i got no idea about all this tech with routers.

and thanks you guys btw. if someone could guide me

I had really great results with this Asus http://www.mbreviews.com/asus-rt-n66u-dark-knight-router-review/
I have 2 laptops, one smart TV, 3 android smartphones and an iphone and the connection is fast and stable.
I stream Full HD movies to my TV with the router in another room over a concrete wall and I had no issue with the signal. Also the Netgear R7000 is an awesome router but the price is higher than the Asus and its performance is basically the same.

I had really great results with this Asus http://www.mbreviews.com/asus-rt-n66u-dark-knight-router-review/
I have 2 laptops, one smart TV, 3 android smartphones and an iphone and the connection is fast and stable.
I stream Full HD movies to my TV with the router in another room over a concrete wall and I had no issue with the signal. Also the Netgear R7000 is an awesome router but the price is higher than the Asus and its performance is basically the same.
What about gaming and streaming twitch and Netflix ?

I would suggest either the Netgear R7000 or the Asus RT-AC68U. You can see the reviews here on this site. On the other hand, I would not recommend the Asus RT-AC87U at this time, since it costs more and you'll not get the benefit of what you're paying more for yet, since clients that can take advantage of the new features aren't available yet. And there are going to be more problems with the RT-AC87U firmware since it is a more complex technology and the firmware has had a lot less time to mature. The firmware for the R7000 and RT-AC68U is mature and working well at this point. I have an R7000 that I'm currently using with dd-wrt that has been a great router. While the stock Netgear firmware for the R7000 has had a bit of a rocky past, it's working fine now, and also dd-wrt and tomato third-party firmware are supported on the R7000 (as they are on the RT-AC68U).

So my current pick for you would be either of the wireless-1900AC routers, the R7000 or the RT-AC68U. I lean towards the R7000, but you can buy either and if you don't like it, return it and get the other *smile*.

What about gaming and streaming twitch and Netflix ?
Yes, you can stream Netflix with stable signal and performs great with gaming. I've had no problem with it so far (I've had mine for about 6 months).
And if you're tech savvy, the Asus is compatible with dd-wrt just as the Netgear NightHawk.

After I upgraded from my old WRT54gl to an Asus AC56R (same as AC68 except for slower wifi speed and cheaper) I ran a load test and connected two chrome casts to Netflix and the fire TV streaming off PLEX. Had someone else get on a game and no lag at all. Checked all the TVs and nothing was stuttering or skipping.

Was having non stop problems with the old router finally had enough evidence it was the router itself causing the issues where I justify buying a new one. Was a good move for me, much better now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Asus RT-AC3200. Best wireless router I've owned. Great for gaming and for streaming. Fry's online is selling them for $247 at the moment. Using Merlin's 378.52_2, solid, stable as a rock. Great to have two separate 5ghz radios for media, streaming, etc. We have about 20+ wireless devices (more when guests are over), and never experience any lag. We have 300Mbps download from TWC so plenty of bandwidth for simultaneous streaming, gaming, etc., on multiple devices.

Asus RT-AC3200. Best wireless router I've owned. Great for gaming and for streaming. Fry's online is selling them for $247 at the moment. Using Merlin's 378.52_2, solid, stable as a rock. Great to have two separate 5ghz radios for media, streaming, etc. We have about 20+ wireless devices (more when guests are over), and never experience any lag. We have 300Mbps download from TWC so plenty of bandwidth for simultaneous streaming, gaming, etc., on multiple devices.

What about the Netgear R7500 anyone heard some good about this unit?
Apearrly the Asus AC RT 3200 is not in my country yet cos i cant find it anywhere

Buy a Netgear R7000 it has more features and it's much faster over the USB3 ports, than the 7500, as well as ASUS RT-AC68U has more features and is better than the Asus RT-AC3200 according to me, but the taste is like a split butt.

Your needs are pretty general these days, all routers can handle them. The main concern with routers these days is stability and performance.