What's new

What the best practice for setup two APs?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tts

Occasional Visitor
I have two AC68U can be connect to the wired Ethernet , whats the best way to make them work at same time?

both in AP mode, using same SSID ?
or both in AiMesh AP mode?

I just confused here after reading a lot of threads. Thanks,

I have two AC68U can be connect to the wired Ethernet , whats the best way to make them work at same time?

both in AP mode, using same SSID ?
or both in AiMesh AP mode?

I just confused here after reading a lot of threads. Thanks,

I believe AiMesh requires the remote node WAN to be wired to the root node LAN. If you can't do that, then your choice is wireless AiMesh or traditional wired APs.

Whether you use AiMesh or wired APs is your choice. If you can, I would try AiMesh with separate SSIDs and fixed channels for each band. If that doesn't suit you, you can always try wired APs.

site router <> wired AiMesh AP root node <> wired or wireless AiMesh remote node

OR,

site router <> wired APs

OE

I believe AiMesh requires the remote node WAN to be wired to the root node LAN. If you can't do that, then your choice is wireless AiMesh or traditional wired APs.

Whether you use AiMesh or wired APs is your choice. If you can, I would try AiMesh with separate SSIDs and fixed channels for each band. If that doesn't suit you, you can always try wired APs.

site router <> wired AiMesh AP root node <> wired or wireless AiMesh remote node

OR,

site router <> wired APs

OE
Thanks, that's what I read, wired APs need different SSIDs for best coverage. AiMesh AP can do the roaming but need a AiMesh master node.

Thanks, that's what I read, wired APs need different SSIDs for best coverage. AiMesh AP can do the roaming but need a AiMesh master node.

Roaming is node steering... the client selects the best node/signal to connect to.

Smart Connect is node band steering... the client selects the best node band/signal to connect to. Your 68Us do not support Smart Connect, so you should use separate SSIDs for each band and simply connect your clients to the preferred band/SSID.

AiMesh uses the same band channel (Auto or fixed) and band SSID for all nodes. I suggest you use a fixed channel and separate SSID for each band.

I've never setup APs, but I gather they can be mixed channels and SSIDs and without any system control to encourage clients to roam to a better node signal.

As for "coverage"... WiFi signal range is a function of the radio hardware/band/signal and placement. Your choice of SSIDs (names) does not affect WiFi coverage/range... same SSIDs, different SSIDs... they all have the same radio signal coverage. I would place your 68Us about 60' apart to begin with, subject to signal obstacles.

OE

Last edited:
I've never setup APs, but I gather they can be mixed channels and SSIDs and without any system control to encourage clients to roam to a better node signal.
When we set up a big house with multiple APs we do exactly that. Stagger the channels to minimize interference, and assign different SSIDs to assist in troubleshooting later.

When we set up a big house with multiple APs we do exactly that. Stagger the channels to minimize interference, and assign different SSIDs to assist in troubleshooting later.

Thanks for the comment.

I (and traditional AP users?) wonder how AiMesh manages to use the same band channel and SSID across all nodes. Seems to work here and definitely simplifies things, assuming it works.

OE

It is a must have for Aimesh with original Wifi-backhaul (which still jumps in even with LAN-backhaul if connection is broken) as for all repeaters to use same channel.
Thats how a repeater works if there is no dedicated 3rd band backhaul. Yes you could use a different channel for the other band, but main will mostly be 5GHz and most clients will connect to it leaving 2,4GHz for older devices or even turned off.

Thanks for the comment.

I (and traditional AP users?) wonder how AiMesh manages to use the same band channel and SSID across all nodes. Seems to work here and definitely simplifies things, assuming it works.

OE
In theory 802.11 defines a method of frequency-hopping that minimizes co-channel interference. In big houses where various users might be requesting big downloads at the same time we scatter 1, 6, and 11 around the house to try to spread the load. (5GHz gets used if it can get through the thick walls of these huge century-old mansions.)

We also prefer different SSIDs, including identifying the 5G channels, like alpha & alpha_5G, beta and beta_5G, etc. If a user complains about poor Wi-Fi and we discover he is logged into an AP 2 stories higher, we can sort it out pretty quickly. We are dealing with iPads running an A/V app meant for equipment in a specific area so we often erase the automatic log-ins for the other APs so the iPad is locked into the one we know to be strongest in that specific area. iPads are not known for their agility to roam between APs.

(5GHz gets used if it can get through the thick walls of these huge century-old mansions.)

I'm familiar with such grand old homes... born and raised in south St. Louis... one edge of the Ozarks.

OE

I'm familiar with such grand old homes... born and raised in south St. Louis... one edge of the Ozarks.

OE

Sorry for the off-topic reply.

I always wondered if your name had something to do with that area. I was born and spent most of my life in the St Louis metro area, though we recently moved away as the wife was recently transferred to Santa Fe, NM.

Sorry for the off-topic reply.

I always wondered if your name had something to do with that area. I was born and spent most of my life in the St Louis metro area, though we recently moved away as the wife was recently transferred to Santa Fe, NM.

Yep.

Santa Fe should be a new adventure. I hope to spend more time in the Southwest after we all get vaccinated. New Mexico is just a far edge of the Ozarks! :)

OE

Yep.

Santa Fe should be a new adventure. I hope to spend more time in the Southwest after we all get vaccinated. New Mexico is just a far edge of the Ozarks! :)

OE

It's stunningly beautiful and no humidity. Quite a change from the Midwest!

I was born and spent most of my life in the St Louis metro area, though we recently moved away as the wife was recently transferred to Santa Fe, NM.
And my new neighbors 3 houses away are moving from Santa Fe to St. Louis!

And my new neighbors 3 houses away are moving from Santa Fe to St. Louis!

Wow that is one crazy coincidence! Unless it's because of us?! ;)