What's new

What to pair with R7800?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Alrekkia

New Around Here
To give a little background, i have a Netgear R7800 located where the verizon internet comes into the house. At that location is a NAS and a Server. Those are wired together with Ethernet.

My home office is located 60ish feet away and one floor up on the other side of the house. I cannot run an ethernet cable that distance. I've tried powerline and something interferes with it.

What can i pair with the R7800 to get the best possible wirless speed from there to the machine/other devices in office(PS4). I am willing to buy a device with a dedicated backhaul if necessary. What would get me closest to gigabit Ethernet speed?

Last edited:
Ethernet cable.

No, seriously. You cannot beat physics. No wireless backhaul system will ever compare to wired or access points. That 60ft gap will be the bane of your life at some point until you close it, be it throughput or more likely latency and stability. So, may as well do it as soon as possible. Don't forget, you can run cables outside a building if needed ...

Then you can use any APs you like, including another R7800 in AP mode if you wanted, though Ubiquiti APs or Asus AIMesh would work better (latter only up to 3 devices) for multiple reasons.

Alternatives are MOCA for Ethernet over coax - since some houses already have coax running through them - but I don't know about that or if they support Gigabit speeds with consumer available gear.

If you're going to go crazy and actually buy a WiFi backhaul system, then the best money can buy with consumer gear would be two Asus RT-GT5300 in AiMesh. Next best would be two Asus RT-AC5300 in AiMesh. From then on its rapidly downhill because you will have neither access to 4x4 tri-band radios, nor powerful CPUs, nor a backhaul management system like AiMesh. And all of that expense is still much worse than (wired) APs at a fraction of the cost because ... you can't beat physics!

Last edited:
I am well aware Ethernet is the best option available, but it isn't feasible(is rented), and this place does not have coax, it got ripped out when the last owner bought it.

Not trying to be a jerk but i asked a very specific question, i have a R7800, what would be the best performing option with that given that i can't use ethernet and Powerline only yields about 40-50Mbps because of crappy wiring.

I am well aware Ethernet is the best option available, but it isn't feasible(is rented), and this place does not have coax, it got ripped out when the last owner bought it.

Not trying to be a jerk but i asked a very specific question, i have a R7800, what would be the best performing option with that given that i can't use ethernet and Powerline only yields about 40-50Mbps because of crappy wiring.

Any Wifi extender with MU-MIMO with atleast AC2200 or preferable AC2600 would work the best for you. We want the Extender to be as fast as the router it's gonna pair with. EX8000 is best but a bit higher rated.

What kind of speeds do you get now?

what are the other clients you have in this office? And what kind of wifi adapter do they have (PS4 is, what, 2x2 802.11n?) If all your wifi clients are 2x2, then you don't need a blazing fast unit on the client facing side (something like an orbi approach might help).

One thing to consider is to get another router and use it as a bridge (wireless link back to main router, but have computer and PS4 linked via ethernet). Then you wouldn't have to worry about your bandwidth being halved due to retransmission. This seems like it would work well if your current signal is decent.

But if your signal is really weak right now from your router, then you may need to insert a unit to insert wireless repeater somewhere in the middle.

Another thought, if your computer and PS4 are the primary users of the server and NAS, you could maybe move those units into your office.

Yes, i have been looking at the EX8000 or the linksys version of this, or getting a pair of ASUS routers for AI Mesh. I can get a good signal but i have several devices (Desktop, laptop, ps4 pro) that i would like to connect. So a device with LAN ports using a dedicated link over WIFI may be the best route. Just not sure if two Asus AC86U(i think) or the R7800 + EX8000 is a better bet.

okay and that 500-600mbps is just the "link rate" of the connection, right?

If it's the actual speed you're getting from a speedtest, then your work is pretty much done. It's difficult to get wifie speed much faster.

If it's the link rate, that still means potentially 250+ in effective bandwidth. Which is decent considering a 2x2 AC client is gonna max at an 833mhz link rate.

you know what you might wanna get? another R7800. (or any other 4x4 router). It would be able to connect to your main R7800 at the most possible speed. And it would have 4 lan ports to plug your home office devices into.

If you will also have a lot of wifi activity upstairs, as well as the wired clients, then having an additional 5ghz band would be useful, so something like the EX8000 would be a good fit.

okay and that 500-600mbps is just the "link rate" of the connection, right?

If it's the actual speed you're getting from a speedtest, then your work is pretty much done. It's difficult to get wifie speed much faster.

If it's the link rate, that still means potentially 250+ in effective bandwidth. Which is decent considering a 2x2 AC client is gonna max at an 833mhz link rate.

you know what you might wanna get? another R7800. (or any other 4x4 router). It would be able to connect to your main R7800 at the most possible speed. And it would have 4 lan ports to plug your home office devices into.

If you will also have a lot of wifi activity upstairs, as well as the wired clients, then having an additional 5ghz band would be useful, so something like the EX8000 would be a good fit.
Well that's the problem in this netgear router, link speed is dropped quite a lot even of you are in the same room. It hovers around 650-585 mbps. Asus always stayed on 865 mbps. I don't know why the netgear is doing this.

Only thing i can think of is because it's using mixed mode a/b/ac mode instead of only n/ac mode which was on asus router.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

So i stopped at a Microcenter and tried the Linksys RE9000, and it actually performs worse than just connecting the laptop directly to the router, so i think at this point i am going to try two Asus routers in AI Mesh mode later this weekend after i return this.

NETGEAR ProSAFE Premium 4x4 802.11ac Wave 2 Wireless Access Point (600 Mbps at 2.4GHz and 1.7 Gbps at 5GHz) or a EnGenius EAP2200 (400 Mbps 2.4 GHz, 2x867 Mbps/867 Mbps 5 GHz).

Last edited:
better try the voxel firmware. If you are saying wired speed max you are getting is only 600-700 on gigabit link that is bad ie the cutthrough or ctf is reason for half the speed. It can be overcome by custom firmware. You wont get any downgrade in performance actually its far better than stock and looks like stock but all the libraries are upto date.

Plus you cant do wiring from the current link room to other side. But can you do wired in between ie can you cover half of the distance through wire or say powerline on the halfway through.

if so try AP in the mid which if possible wired or through powerline. So that you can cover the other end easily as being only 30 feet. As AP has to be wired either directly to 7800 or via powerline in the mide

But powerline cant give you 1gig speed at all.

i had a 500Mbps line nano adaptor . Hardly i get 100Mbps .

So get an entry level ap and then keep adding more if possible.

So just to give an update, i tried numerous things, two different routers(Traded my R7800 for a RT-86U with a friend since he didn't care which one he was using and 86U was faster for me.
The final solution is as follows:
ESXI host + Synology NAS in closet Cat5e'd to an Asus RT-86U running latest firmware.
Desktop one story up and across building with an Asus PCE-AC88 PCIE add in wireless card connected to 5ghz band on router (Wifi link rate displays as 1.5GBPS).
From Desktop -> NAS - 78-85MB/s
From NAS -> Desktop 95-105 MB/s.
Router/Desktop/Server all get similar speedtest results in the 890-930MBPS Down and 850ish up on Verizon Fiber.

Was the most effective solution, get near GigE speed from Wifi and server and NAS are connected via Cat5e (NAS is using teaming).

Just wanted to write all that out in case anyone else reads it/it helps.