What's new

What's a good NON-Asus router to replace a GT-AX6000?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jaizan

Occasional Visitor
My Asus GT-AX6000 will have to go back. Even Asus UK advise this.

What's a good NON-ASUS replacement ?

[Not for discussion in this topic, but reasons for return= Unreliable 2.4 GHz connections.
(i) I have the problem and have seen enough other threads discussing the issue here on various Asus AX routers
(ii) I've tried every suggested setting from various threads
(iii) Asus UK advised me to return it. IMHO, this either means the guy doesn't care, or they know they don't have a countermeasure. Probably the latter.]

Depends on several things :
Was the previous wireless router adequate ? What was the brand/model ?

Does a single , blast it out, consumer wireless router give adequate coverage on 5Ghz ?

How much effort/time are you able and willing to put into learning networking configration (TP-Link Omada vs ASUS for example) ?

Do you have any infrastructure available in wall or easily installed (RG6 coax or CAT5e/6 twisted pair) ?

Whilst my Vodafone ISP router works, I can't stand the user interface and it gives slower 5 GHz WiFi connections than the Asus. However, the Vodafone 2.4 GHz is far more reliable.
My earlier "owned" router is an Asus AC66U. Getting old now.
I have plenty of CAT5e/6 cable installed.

The choices are staying with the Vodafone router, or getting something similar to the Asus, but from another brand. So suggested alternatives to the Asus are welcome.

Some of the "Pro" versions of recent ASUS routers seem to be popular. Search the threads. Might want one with a different brand of radios/chipset than the one you are returning. Others in the single unit consumer region might be Netgear.

Since you have plenty of twisted pair presumably to each room, a TP-Link Omada ER605, OC200 controller for the APs and ER, and a 2-3 APs (ceiling or wall) can do a decent job of coverage and have higher "set and forget" reliability as they are designed for SMB applications (multiple lower power APs, handle more clients, provide coverage and good roaming). You can also look at Cisco WAP 150 series AC APs with whatever router. If you want VLANs, then pick a router that supports (ER605 should work, i have not tried). The WAPs have a built in controller in each AP and work as a group with single click replication and management. i have been using the WAP371s for a decade now with a RV325 router without a htich.

TP-Link is more affordable if you plan to use AX based wireless from what i can see.

I use TP-Link Omada APs (ceiling), the EAP650 ones, and they have a very easy and structured control interface. My router is a MikroTik RB3011, which is not for the faint of hearts if you're not willing/don't have time to invest in getting to know RouterOS. All runs rock solid and am very pleased with the TP-Link APs range (both 2.4 & 5 GHz). They're also Qualcomm-based ones, which I prefer, instead of Broadcom ones.

Thank you very much for the recommendations everyone. I will need to do some research into Synology etc.

I use TP-Link Omada APs (ceiling), the EAP650 ones, and they have a very easy and structured control interface. My router is a MikroTik RB3011, which is not for the faint of hearts if you're not willing/don't have time to invest in getting to know RouterOS. All runs rock solid and am very pleased with the TP-Link APs range (both 2.4 & 5 GHz). They're also Qualcomm-based ones, which I prefer, instead of Broadcom ones.
I was looking at the TP-Link Omada.
If I have a hardware controller, is it correct that the only option comes with just one ethernet port ?
I'd prefer to have more. OK, I can use a switch, but after just having a few temporary problems with my LAN connection, I rebooted everything except for the switch & still had a LAN problem. I rebooted the switch and it worked. Now if I'm troubleshooting, I'd rather have my PC connected directly to the controller. Plus AT LEAST one other port for the switch or network connections. Preferably more. My ideal device would have about a dozen ports, but manufacturers of consumer priced products don't tend to offer that.

I'm a little wary about the cloud option.

Last edited:
The controller is just there for managing the configuration and stats on the other Omada devices. Use of the controller is in place of cloud management which can be uncomfortable.

So the layout would consist of ISP modem--ER605-< a) POE lan to OC200, b) lan to each AP (either POE injector or POE switch port), c) PCs, etc.
Here is a diagram of the typical layout. Note - power injectors can be used instead of a POE switch.

If you use VLANs, the switch will need to be VLAN aware or pass packets without modification.

Attachments

• OC200layout.JPG
    OC200layout.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 12
I was looking at the TP-Link Omada.

Omada is a step up from consumer All-In-One routers, but will be more expensive as initial investment and being business oriented system don't expect to find parental controls or gaming features on it. Whatever you need has to be configured manually. Needs a bit more networking knowledge.

My Asus GT-AX6000 will have to go back. Even Asus UK advise this.

What's a good NON-ASUS replacement ?

[Not for discussion in this topic, but reasons for return= Unreliable 2.4 GHz connections.
(i) I have the problem and have seen enough other threads discussing the issue here on various Asus AX routers
(ii) I've tried every suggested setting from various threads
(iii) Asus UK advised me to return it. IMHO, this either means the guy doesn't care, or they know they don't have a countermeasure. Probably the latter.]
Interesting question. I was thinking of getting 2 of these! Sounds like they are no so good then. What's up with yours?

Interesting question. I was thinking of getting 2 of these! Sounds like they are no so good then. What's up with yours?
Not had any issues with mine, but it appears that Asus in general is having some issues with random routers. I had a RT-AX68U which was not behaving at all, took it to a service centre and was given a new one. It seems like either Asus has gotten a batch of bad flash chips, or they've done something wrong programming them, since several people have posted about what appears to be flash related issues here.
My GT-AX6000 has been rock solid though and it's coming up on a year soon.

I'd like to keep this thread on the topic of a non-Asus router to replace my Asus. There have been some interesting & helpful ideas posted already.

[There are several threads discussing the 2.4 GHz issue on Asus AX routers, including 2 updated within the last week & numerous older ones. See ASUS AX Routers & Adapters (Wi-Fi 6/6e)
If I didn't need 2.4 GHz, I would have been very happy with the Asus. I DO need reliable 2.4 GHz, so it is going back to Amazon]

So I'll say 0~£250. Preferably under £200.

Omada is out in this case. You guys have some unfriendly pricing in the UK. The same price as in the US, but in pounds. This makes the product 30% more expensive before 20% VAT on top. 🤔

Omada is out in this case. You guys have some unfriendly pricing in the UK. The same price as in the US, but in pounds. This makes the product 30% more expensive before 20% VAT on top. 🤔
Usually their prices are quoted with VAT?

Deal: BE9300 Whole Home Tri-Band WiFi 7 Speeds up to 9214 Mbps, AI-Driven, Connect Over 200 Devices, Ideal for Gaming&4K, Easy Setup, 2.5G Connectivity Wired and Wireless, Deco BE65(1-pack) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0D54CYQQJ?tag=smallncom-21

@Matthew12345 I've been actively trying to recreate the issues that a couple of members on here have reported, and so far have failed miserably. My own GT-AX6000 is rock solid and has been since a few days after the model was launched.

A plausible alternative to Omada is UniFi. I see their U6-PLUS model in stock in their UK store for £79, so you could get two and still be under budget ... or at least on budget after you add a couple of PoE power injectors, if you don't want to spring for a PoE-capable switch. A hardware controller (their equivalent to the OC200 is a "Cloud Key") would blow your budget pretty thoroughly, but you don't actually need a hardware controller. You can download their "Network App", which is the software that would run on a Cloud Key, and run it for free on your own Windows, Mac, or Linux box. The app only has to be running during initial setup or when you want to change the APs' configuration. (I think Omada has a similar software offering, FWIW.)

UniFi is pretty much in the same SMB space as Omada, so I'd expect both of them to have about the same kind of learning curve. I've not used Omada personally, though. I do have and like UniFi APs, although from what I read on their community forums I'm not sure I'd make the leap into an all-UniFi network. BTW, if you are comparing these two ecosystems, Evan McCann's website is an invaluable resource.

I would not recommend anything TP-Link, they are a terrible company that releases multiple hardware revision of the same piece of kit, just so they don't have to support the previously released revisions. Some products get 2-3 firmware updates and are then dropped as a hot potato in favour of the next revision of hardware. They have also released hardware on the market that couldn't be upgraded to comply with the WiFi standard, as they rushed out products and only found out later that there were issues that no firmware update in the world would fix. Since you don't know which hardware revision you get, especially if you order online, you can in fact get a product that there's no support, although this isn't entirely unique to TP-Link. If you want some kind of longer term support, TP-Link isn't what you want, as they're a box shifter and nothing else.