What's new

what's the best Asus router on the 2.4Ghz band?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

letgoodgrow

Occasional Visitor
hello guys,
My internet speed from my ISP is less than 100 Mbps, and I care more about signal and range than speed. I tried the AX58U, but the coverage wasn’t great.
I'm thinking of switching to the AX68U since it's more budget-friendly and is 3x3. Is it worth it? My old WiFi 5 modem (not ASUS) had better range than the AX58U.
is there a way to tell if x model Asus router will cover wider range than model y based on the components or specs?

Also... what region? In Europe every AIO router or AP is limited to 100mW on 2.4GHz band, for example. Cheap, expensive - up to 100mW.

No, RT-AX68U is End-of-Life model.

Why Asus router specifically? Get 2x TL-WR841N routers or similar for about $20/piece, place them on the opposite sides of your property. Two at 60-70dBm signal level distance will beat in coverage area any single router, guaranteed.
TL-WR841N is too cheap too old but I would go for Asus all the day with their rich of features
my modem was on 20-40mhz and was able to hit the third floor but was weak at this level, yet I want even to maximize the signal to the fifth floors. I use two of the AX58U but not wow in range so I though of replacing one of them.
Egypt

TL-WR841N is too cheap too old

This TL-WR841N has hardware version 14, it never dies. Still manufactured, later versions still supported. You don't need any features on an Access Point, it's just wired to wireless bridge, no routing there. Asus only requirement limits your hardware choices significantly, at higher price.

yet I want even to maximize the signal to the fifth floors

Not happening with any router. Don't forget the clients have to reach the router, Wi-Fi is 2-way communication. Look around for Asus RT-N19 - Qualcomm 4x4 radio on 2.4GHz band and must be pretty cheap. With some tweaks can do 500mW, but you have to find this information yourself.

This TL-WR841N has hardware version 14, it never dies. Still manufactured, later versions still supported. You don't need any features on an Access Point, it's just wired to wireless bridge, no routing there. Asus only requirement limits your hardware choices significantly, at higher price.

Not happening with any router. Don't forget the clients have to reach the router, Wi-Fi is 2-way communication. Look around for Asus RT-N19 - Qualcomm 4x4 radio on 2.4GHz band and must be pretty cheap. With some tweaks can do 500mW, but you have to find this information yourself.
I tried an old routers as AP already, but in that case I wasn't be able to monitor if they are connected from the main Asus router also features like traffic analyzer and bandwidth limiting will be lost.

also features like traffic analyzer and bandwidth limiting will be lost.

No, Traffic Analyzer will still see the connected clients and Bandwidth Limiter can be set on IP range.

You can have both working with one Asus main router and different type APs around, with some network planning.

No, Traffic Analyzer will still see the connected clients and Bandwidth Limiter can be set on IP range.

You can have both working with one Asus main router and different type APs around, with some network planning.
you were right the cable was connected to the modem not the asus router, but there's an annoying problem the connected wifi devices has a different mac address & IPs than the main router, any explanation because I had that too when I was connecting between the 2.4 band the 5ghz band on main asus router each one were different in that matter so is that normal!

Last edited:
Sorry, I don't understand the description of your issue above. If you have APs attached to a Router the clients of the entire network get IPs from the router's DHCP. Different MAC addresses is perhaps related to the fact most mobile devices use randomized MAC unless disabled in device's settings.

Sorry, I don't understand the description of your issue above. If you have APs attached to a Router the clients of the entire network get IPs from the router's DHCP. Different MAC addresses is perhaps related to the fact most mobile devices use randomized MAC unless disabled in device's settings.
I'll do a separate thread about this later
thank you man for giving time an effort trying to help I appreciate it.
I'm still open to hear people' opinions if they can tell if an Asus router's range for a model could have a better coverage than the other instead of leaving it for luck?

According to the information I find online about your regional Wi-Fi regulations - any router you buy in Egypt will be limited to 100mW on 2.4GHz band. For wider coverage area you need more APs.

I'll do a separate thread about this later
thank you man for giving time an effort trying to help I appreciate it.
I'm still open to hear people' opinions if they can tell if an Asus router's range for a model could have a better coverage than the other instead of leaving it for luck?
I have the Asus RT-AX86U Pro. The 2.4 ghz range is significantly better than my old RT-AX58U. Like you, i found the range of the 58U lacking. with the 86U Pro, the range is much, much better.

I have the Asus RT-AX86U Pro. The 2.4 ghz range is significantly better than my old RT-AX58U. Like you, i found the range of the 58U lacking. with the 86U Pro, the range is much, much better.
thanks that was good to know,
is the ax86u have the same coverage of the ax86u if you have any idea?
btw have you tried ASUSWRT 5.0, if so does it worth the upgrade in your opinion?

yes, the 2.4 ghz range is much better. it reached all the way outside and to the end of my property now (which is 10 ft more than the older router).
there's two popular versions
RT-AX86U pro
RT-AX86U
so that's for the pro version right? I was asking about the non-pro RT-AX86U if you had a chance to try it and compare!

In what region? Did you see the post above about limits in @letgoodgrow region?
I live in the US. so i can't speak to the region limitations.

even with power limitations, the AX86U has more 2.4 ghz antennas. this allows it to channel the available energy in one direction with more antennas. this will allow for better range in a given direction.

so that's for the pro version right?
the pro has a faster cpu. you'll most likely get the same range from the non-pro version.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!