What's new

What's the best network configuration for me?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

matthewsoft

New Around Here
Hi all, thanks for the great forum! I've been doing a lot of reading and find all the info on ASUS and general wireless stuff very helpful. I'm in a bit of a dilemma and hope you can offer me some expertise...

I recently got the RT-AC68R and am trying to figure out how I want to setup the network. My problem is right now I'm using a Comcast Arris TG862G to do the routing, but the issue is the firmware is too basic/flaky and things like UPnP don't work. So I could use the AC68 for routing instead and disable the Arris router, but then the placement is not great in the office for wireless [downstairs, outside wall]. The best location for wireless is upstairs in the guest room, which is almost in the center of the house. I could put the AC68 on the top of a bookshelf in the office, but the service on the other side of the house upstairs is still poor [my room]. I considered using the WNDR3700 in my room, as I could easily do with another switch there anyway, but I'm not sure how well it would play with the AC68, especially if I use the same SSID for both. I would be perfectly happy moving the modem upstairs in the guest room as there is a free coax outlet available, but then the fax machine in the office wouldn't have the phone. Every room has an Ethernet outlet, but no phone lines at all. I'm so conflicted on what to do...

I think my choices are:
  1. Use AC68 in guest room as AP [I hope I don't loose any good features doing that?] and use WNDR3700 downstairs for routing
  2. Use AC68 downstairs to keep advanced routing capabilities and use WNDR3700 as AP in my room on the other side of the house
  3. Figure out someway to move the cable modem in guest room to use AC68 as a router without loosing fax

Thanks everyone!

you should put the ac68 wherever the most AC clients are likely to be, unless you've got 100mbit+ downstream

Internet I do have 105. Oddly enough, the 5G signal strength on AC client is better in my room when the router is downstairs.

Does AC take a hit when serving N clients? I read that N routers did typically when serving B/G.

why not just use your WNDR3700 as an access point? I doubt you will have any problems.

Still undecided...

why not just use your WNDR3700 as an access point? I doubt you will have any problems.

Using it in my room or in the guest room? The best signal area is definitely in the guest room, as my room is right next door, and it still carries the signal throughout the rest of the house. If I use it in my room and use the AC68 in the office, I effectively eliminate my room from getting any AC signal. Not much of an issue given I'm going to be wired most of the time, but I still like the idea of easily being mobile in all areas of the house. I would do the AC68 in my room, but for some reason the fact that I'm above the garage can really hurt the signal. The guest room is just the prime spot in the middle, rear of the house.

Here's another thing I'm considering now... Newegg has the refurbished AC68 on sale for $150 through 5/19. I got mine for $144. I'm tempted to get another one and ditch the WNDR3700. That way I keep AC in the best area of the house, and have another one to boost and do all the routing.

But am I just being too greedy? The WNDR3700 has been working fine for me for the most part, and I would like to keep some legacy devices on it, so I plan to use a different SSID. I don't have that many wireless devices since most everything is wired that can be. Basically 2 ultrabooks, 5 iPhones, 2 iPads, Thermostat, and maybe a few more things every once in a while.

My biggest concern is I'm going to loose some capabilities running the AC68 in AP mode. I'm not that familiar with all of the features yet, and I guess I don't want to stumble upon something down the road that doesn't work. Or run into a bottleneck by streaming from a HDD attached to the AC68 in AP mode. I noticed AirPlay Mirroring struggling a bit the other day.

I have a hard time making these decisions... Help, please? :confused: