What's new

When will it be available for the simple Merlin TUF 3000V2 router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lenovomen

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I don't see the TUF 3000V2 router in the list of supported devices, only the regular 3000 is on the page. When will the V2 be available? Where can I download it?

Merlin does not support that model and never will. Try Gnutons firmware he may support it.

@lenovomen, per the pinned, tacked, stickied subforum topic [FAQ] READ ME FIRST before posting a question:

Q: Will you add support for model XYZ?
A: The decision whether or not to support a new model depend on a long list of factors, which may evolve over time. Right now:

- It needs to be Broadcom-based
- It needs to be widely available (not just in two or three countries)
- It needs to have high-end hardware so I don't have to fight with lack of flash or RAM
- It needs to receive frequent enough GPLs so I won't have to regularly skip it due to the GPL being outdated
- I need to have one
- I need to have the time to try supporting it
- I need to have the motivation to try supporting it

Each new model requires its own dedicated support. That means every time I work on a new firmware release, I have to work on each separate model, and I need GPL releases from Asus for each individual model, and I need to merge each of them separately. So that means if I support 10 different routers, then I need to merge in the content of 10 different GPL releases, and these need to be close enough to one another to still be compatible. The more models I support, the harder this is to accomplish, therefore I am VERY conservative regarding adding any new model.

So don't ask if/when a new model will be supported. I cannot speculate about future model support, and until I have working support for a model, I cannot answer that question.

As others have indicated see the Gnuton fork of the Asus-Merlin firmware.

Further if one uses the forum search feature and searches for the subforum for "TUF-AX3000" they would find several past mentions of the TUF-AX3000 V2 and supported Gnuton firmware:
https://www.snbforums.com/search/12...t&c[child_nodes]=1&c[nodes][0]=42&o=relevance
For example:

Merlin does not support that model and never will. Try Gnutons firmware he may support it.

I do not understand. And why won't never? How support Gnuton? Why doesn't simple Merlin support it?

Please help me more because I don't understand. I am not a developer. I don't understand why gnuton supports plain Merlin why not? In addition, the AX58U v2 model has the same processor as the TUF 3000V2, so I don't understand the case.
Read what RMerlin wrote. It cannot be any clearer. RMerlin cannot support every possible model, he's only one person.
Q: Will you add support for model XYZ?
A: The decision whether or not to support a new model depend on a long list of factors, which may evolve over time. Right now:

- It needs to have high-end hardware so I don't have to fight with lack of flash or RAM
- It needs to receive frequent enough GPLs so I won't have to regularly skip it due to the GPL being outdated
- I need to have one

Each new model requires its own dedicated support. That means every time I work on a new firmware release, I have to work on each separate model, and I need GPL releases from Asus for each individual model, and I need to merge each of them separately. So that means if I support 10 different routers, then I need to merge in the content of 10 different GPL releases, and these need to be close enough to one another to still be compatible. The more models I support, the harder this is to accomplish, therefore I am VERY conservative regarding adding any new model.

So don't ask if/when a new model will be supported. I cannot speculate about future model support, and until I have working support for a model, I cannot answer that question.

Read what RMerlin wrote. It cannot be any clearer. RMerlin cannot support every possible model, he's only one person.
But this is not a new model. As I mentioned, it has the same processor as the AX58U v2. So why is it new? Plus it's on gnuton alone yet it could still do it. So I don't understand the whole thing.

But this is not a new model.
You're misunderstanding the word "new". It would be new to the list of routers that RMerlin supports, not "new" as in "just released".

As I mentioned, it has the same processor as the AX58U v2. So why is it new? Plus it's on gnuton alone yet it could still do it. So I don't understand the whole thing.
You're ignoring all the other reasons that RMerlin might not choose to support a particular model.

So I don't understand the whole thing.
Again, as @RMerlin has indicated:
- I need to have one

It appears one of the main reasons RMerlin doesn't support certain routers while Gnuton does, is the router is not available in RMerlin's country but is available in Gnuton's country. In other words point #2 from the list above, the router needs to be widely available, not just sold in one or two markets/countries.

This is really a moot discussion since Gnuton firmware is a "fork" of (in other words: based on) Asus-Merlin firmware. You are getting the Asus-Merlin firmware, its just that a few tweaks were made by Gnuton in their version.