What's new

Where are the ASUS ZenWiFi XT9 users ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

in2ndo

Regular Contributor
Has anyone upgraded from the XT8 to the XT9? And how is it going? I don’t see much user input online.

Just got into the Asus ecosystem and purchased a single XT9 as an AiMesh node for my GT-AX11000... no complaints whatsoever. Stable & fast on the latest firmware.

It's serving gigabit wifi to my PC about 15 feet away and I'm reliably getting 2600Mbps Tx from router to node, with a ceiling and about 30 feet of distance between them.

Any long-term reviews? I still can't make up my mind about buying a pair of these, esp. they aren't supported by Merlin.

I own a pair of XT9`s on a wireless backhaul setup. Performance is good, also compatibility with many devices, even a 11b one. But stability of mesh node is getting worse each day, worked fine at first, then a disconnect each week and now it's twice a day! Node is disconnected from main router and doesn't rejoin until power cycle.

Latest firmware improved wireguard performacen (slower downloads if WG activated). Web management performance sometimes is sluggish, looks like they need to improve quality on the newer 388 firmwares.

I've disabled roaming assistant on all bands but still using smart connect. I've been trying other settings but stability seems the same. using fixed channels, tried 80mhz channels, same results.

Thanks. Look like Asus' has this issue, my AX88U too. I schedule it to reboot twice a week. Mine has a even more awkward issue: port 5-8 may fail to work after some time; need a reboot. Sluggish web management too. Guess Wireguard too. VPN is slow too may be due to this though I'm not sure if it's really WG.

Disabling 160MHz on both 5G bands improves stability but after some days, back to node disconnects. In the log I see messages about wds Disassoc for AIMESH node MACs.

When node is not working, I can do icmp or basic udp querys, but tcp connections fail. Don't understand how it is possible.

So doing a daily reboot to ensure proper operation, it's a shame to get to this on such a expensive product.

However, Asus' offers the widest range of functionalities. Perhaps, there're other better ones, but I don't know any of them within the same price range. Orbi is basically "naked" to me unless you pay them money for security as well as technical support. Velop is a bit better but still not up to Asus' level.

Perhaps, sb has better knowledge of these mesh routers and nodes. Plz give us your input. Thanks in advance.

P.S. AiMesh has been known buggy even since when I started my mesh network with AX88U and AC88U.

I agree with you, Asus offers lots of functionalities at a reasonable price, compared with that other brands. Tried some of them in the pass and all lack capabilities and information that, as a long time Asus user, you take for granted.

But every time there is big change in software, like the 388 branch of firmwares, it takes a lot of time to solve problems, and Asus response is inexistent, as it seems watching the many threads about issues on SNBForums. Same problems on many newer AX devices.

Hope Asus IT is watching this and can provide us with an stable version.

I agree with you, Asus offers lots of functionalities at a reasonable price, compared with that other brands. Tried some of them in the pass and all lack capabilities and information that, as a long time Asus user, you take for granted.

But every time there is big change in software, like the 388 branch of firmwares, it takes a lot of time to solve problems, and Asus response is inexistent, as it seems watching the many threads about issues on SNBForums. Same problems on many newer AX devices.

Hope Asus IT is watching this and can provide us with an stable version.
True, esp. for a control freak like me! I want to know every parameter/setting and utilise each one of them wherever possible. An example where Asus routers shine is I can control when my devices will switch over to 2.4G band from 5G band.

In terms of richer functionality and stability, I guess most, if not all, long-time Asus router users, rely on Merlin firmware. Hope he or sb will derive XT12 to XT9.

If you want RMerlin firmware, you should wait until you see a model that is supported first (and you're willing to buy).

Back haul has been pretty stable but stays on 80Mhz channel, if I select 160mhz it goes to low strength

One thing I've noticed though is that browsing online sometimes just stops working. Images won't load and pages hang.

Any other experiences?

Asking in this thread too, does anyone know if I can grab an XT8 setting.cfg and drop it on my XT9 without messing anything up?
my XT9’s should arrive tonight and just hoping it’s a quick move to the new ones.

Never tried before. However, I don't recommend this since they're two different models. Instead, I suggest snapping all the necessary screenshots and entering those options as snapshots. Meanwhile, it's good to review all the settings.

Asking in this thread too

Has anyone upgraded from the XT8 to the XT9? And how is it going? I don’t see much user input online.
Hello,
i got a pair of XT9 and i have the same issue since the beginning. (Last firmware).
I have to schedule daily restart to have something working. Node lose connection, Main router lose internet connection. What a pity.
I'm in contact with Asus support but already 1 week without any answer. As i bought it by Amazon, i'll request soon a refund to buy something else but what ??
In the past i tried Netgear ORBI SSR60 Pro. Very stable once started, but a waste of time if you need to restart or after power outage. You need 4h to bring back up everything :-( (If you have more that 1 module)

Last edited:
I bought a pair too late last month. I'm struggling. I've got 2 disconnections since then, even though I reboot them twice a week. Before then, I was using EE SmartHub and I found that the wireless backhaul was much more stable than XT9. EE SmartHub misses many functionalities, esp without WIFI6.

What should I go for next after returning XT9? What are the best mesh wifi's regarding wireless backhaul?

Even since my XT9 return, I need another set of mesh wifi for my house. Since XT12 is now at its lowest price, I wonder if I should get a pair of these. Yes, they will surely be wireless backhaul connected with one on the ground floor and the other on the 2nd floor. Any advice on this?
One last thing. Sorry though, as it's not really related to XT9 anymore. Plz pardon me and advise if I should do otherwise. I will then scrap this post and post it on a new topic. Thanks.

Even since my XT9 return, I need another set of mesh wifi for my house. Since XT12 is now at its lowest price, I wonder if I should get a pair of these. Yes, they will surely be wireless backhaul connected with one on the ground floor and the other on the 2nd floor. Any advice on this?
One last thing. Sorry though, as it's not really related to XT9 anymore. Plz pardon me and advise if I should do otherwise. I will then scrap this post and post it on a new topic. Thanks.

ASUS ZenWiFi AX6600 Tri-Band Mesh WiFi 6 System (XT8 1PK) - Whole Home Coverage up to 2750 sq.ft & 4+ Rooms, Charcoal & ZenWiFi Pro AX11000 Tri-Band WiFi 6 Mesh System (XT12 2PK)​

Almost 9 Benjamins on AMZN. Top dolla makes me want to holla. Why not just get the ET12 if you willing to pay top dolla.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!