What's new

Which ASUS AC router for this setup? Plus other random network build questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

clint

New Around Here
I currently have an ASUS RT-N56U running stock updated firmware. I have had it about 3 years which is about how long I had my previous Linksys WRT54G. It seems like its range is slowly getting worse and worse. Its range is pretty bad even on 2.4GHz. 5.0GHz is almost unusable unless you are very close to it. I have a really old house so it must be what's in the walls. There aren't a whole lot of networks around and I've changed channels and their size but it didn't seem to help at all.

Here is a list of current and future wireless clients:

Lumia 920 - a/b/g/n 2.4/5.0
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - a/b/g/n 2.4/5.0
Samsung Galaxy Note 4 - a/b/g/n/ac 2.4/5.0 (future)
Nexus 7 2013 - a/b/g/n 2.4/5.0
Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 - a/b/g/n/ac 2.4/5.0 (2x2?)
Microsoft Surface Pro 3 - a/b/g/n/ac 2.4/5.0 (2x2) Marvell Avastar 88W8897/
Dell Latitude e5440 - a/b/g/n/ac 2.4/5.0 (2x2) Intel 7260
Roku 3 - a/b/g/n 2.4/5.0
Chromecast - b/g/n (802.11n 2.4GHz only)
Harmony Smart Hub - b/g/n 2.4
(multiple) Sharx SCNC2900W and (multiple, future... requires a POE hub) SCNC3605N cameras - b/g/n 2.4

I'm thinking the AC68U should be sufficient. I think it is a little early to consider the AC87U but I won't be purchasing until the end of September. I will be running Merlin's firmware no matter which one I get.

I assume that I'd have b/g/n on 2.4GHz and a/n/ac on 5.0GHz right?

Depending on reception and speed increase that I get from the upgrade, I'm probably still going to have issues in parts of my house. The first, less expensive option I might try is upgrading to SuperPower 9db antennas but the reviews from Amazon on those antennas for the AC68U seem mixed at best (maybe 50% success).

The second, more expensive option is getting a second AC68U router and using it as an access point. This is possible without losing any speed right (as opposed to a repeater or wireless bridge)? The few dual band AC APs I have found are $300-400 and aren't as fast as AC68U so it seems pointless to get them. I plan on connecting the routers using TrendNet TPL-420E2K or TPL-421E2K AV2 1200 powerline adapters which will be released in September. I do have some 3 prong modern outlets that previous owners wired into a few rooms within the last decade so I hope these faster powerline adapters will work with sufficient speed otherwise it will limit the clients that connect to the AP. I'd rather not run Ethernet cables in this old place.

I may end up going the second option anyway because the outdoor POE cameras I will be getting are going to need a POE switch (maybe a NNetGear ProSafe GS108PE, any recommendations?) so the powerline adapters would be required in that case. I'm a little worries the POE switch will cause interference with the power line adapters though. Unfortunately I won't know until I try it.

I'm also going to be getting a 2-bay Synology or QNAP NAS with 2TB or 3TB WD Reds.

Thoughts, comments, opinions are welcome. Thanks.

Last edited:
All I could say is location location location
for the router
use a RT-AC68U
******or*******
If you wanted to go the router/AP config then use a Ubiquiti Edge router ($99) and a Ubi PRO 2.4/5 AP ($220). That's looking at from $320 for that setup without any PoE manageable switches (Use the Netgear one 8 port/PoE for $169). So there you are at $500
If you need 2 AP's you can put on in the front and one in the back to ensure complete coverage. Also can add outside AP's for $150 and on up.
Now you are gong into the PROsumer/Commercial router arena
stick with a RT-AC68U, put the larger antennas on there and try to put it in the middle of your house.
Never use power line adapters, just don't work like running CAT5e/6 cable (you can run 328 ft max with low loss if using good wire)

I guess my only issue with Ubiquiti AP you mentioned is that the speeds it supports are pretty low. The D-Link DAP-2695 is pretty close to the AC68U for speed but it is $350 so I might as well get a second AC68U and run it in AP mode for a lot less.

I'm hoping powerline is a last resort option because I can't imagine it speeds will not even be half of what it is rated for based on previous SNB reviews. It would be choke point making the AC68U as an AP sort of pointless. I could reuse my N56U though.

I guess my only issue with Ubiquiti AP you mentioned is that the speeds it supports are pretty low. The D-Link DAP-2695 is pretty close to the AC68U for speed but it is $350 so I might as well get a second AC68U and run it in AP mode for a lot less.

I'm hoping powerline is a last resort option because I can't imagine it speeds will not even be half of what it is rated for based on previous SNB reviews. It would be choke point making the AC68U as an AP sort of pointless. I could reuse my N56U though.

I am not going to rant about Ubiquiti but I did a lot research before deciding to keep my AC68U.
There is a Ubiquiti AC access point w/1 Gb RJ45 PoE
802.11ac protocol, 1300 Mbps speeds and links of up to 122m

It is expensive BUT the only way you are going to get AC1900 speeds is basically two routers bridged, line of sight because everything else will cause interference

devices need to have 3x3 mimo antennas also
a lot of stuff to not give you AC1900, it's a marketing ploy
people see BIG numbers and human psyche is "bigger is better"
and those speeds are only in a lab setting, without any type of EMF producing appliances (anything electrical other than device being tested).
Just go with a RT-AC68U
load Merlin Firmware (or DD-WRT or Shibby Tomato) and go with it.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!