What's new

Which of These 3 Routers Do You Recommend?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So you're only planning on using it for a year? As that's how soon some models are replaced and then no longer get firmware updates.

LOL - I have to chuckle a bit, as they're still issuing updates in the WR841N...

I have a couple of these, and they're remarkably capable, and the factory firmware is "good enough" for most...

That's not true though. Yes, it's a much lower risk, but this was around the time when the WPA2 encryption was compromised, although they had released an update for that. The device seems to still be on sale, last firmware for the most recent version is three years old.

That was an issue with many devices, not just TP-Link...

and these type of attacks/compromises are still an issue - and the mesh things can carry it forward...

LOL - I have to chuckle a bit, as they're still issuing updates in the WR841N...

I have a couple of these, and they're remarkably capable, and the factory firmware is "good enough" for most...

Maybe for version 14.80, but not version 1, in fact, version 1 and 5 (what happened to 2-4?) don't even have a downloadable firmware on their website. Version 7 got its last update in 2012, v8 in 2017, v9 in 2015, v11 in 2015, v13 in 2023 and then the three different v14 models all got updates this year.

I mean, this is just f-ing stupid, even you have to admit that.

That was an issue with many devices, not just TP-Link...

and these type of attacks/compromises are still an issue - and the mesh things can carry it forward...
Did I say it was only a TP-Link issue? I simply pointed it out as an issue. This was not a "mesh" setup, just a bog standard range extender, which I had to put OpenWRT on to make it work as an AP instead, as that wasn't an option in the standard firmware. Somewhat unfortunately, it died when I upgraded OpenWRT.