What's new

Why does Linksys Routers no longer have QoS?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hyelton

Why do Linksys routers no longer have upload QoS? does anyone find it really stupid? Some like the EA6200 USED too... Until firmware updates removed it lol. Why did they remove it? Anyone know? I got a free EA6200 and its just a sad move. Looks like even if I were to buy a $200 Linksys router I'd still be left without upload QoS as well, While for some a $19 would be better due to it at least having an upload QoS for someone with a low upload.

Heck the older EA2700, EA3500, E4200, etc all have upload QoS.

Sorry for my rant, I was just wondering if anyone feels the same? Forbid someone on the network decides to upload photos to facebook it would kill the entire connection.

Most of them still do have QOS. Overall though, in home routers QOS usually hinders speeds and doesn't work as designed. It's not like layer 3 networking where you are tagging packets end to end via egress and ingress.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Most of them still do have QOS. Overall though, in home routers QOS usually hinders speeds and doesn't work as designed. It's not like layer 3 networking where you are tagging packets end to end via egress and ingress.

I agree. I'n my home we have about 40+ devices connected with a lot of 4K streaming and 4 gaming consoles at the same time. Never have we had an issue with lag or slow down and I have never ever used QOS.

QoS is really not good for average consumers. I spent the last year researching traffic-shaping, QoS, congestion control, and most of the related scheduling algorithms and it is very complicated.

I think most average users do what I originally did. See a QoS section, assume I knew wtf I was doing, setup a uselessly complex set of rules and assume everything is working as I assume while never actually testing it. This, a large majority of the time, will make your connection worse.

I say, hide the QoS and just include CoDel.

For the power-users, most routers include a bunch of QoS algorithms (assuming Linux) that are accessible via command line. AsusWRT has quite a few included that nobody uses.

QoS is there, but basically very simplified these days - you can prioritize devices and/or applications...

(behind the scenes, QoS is definitely active if you check sysinfo.cgi)

QoS really, really needs to be an end-to-end mechanism anyway. Yes, congestion control on a small residential uplink (which is what the OP wants) can be somewhat beneficial but overall QoS in these cheap consumer devices is snake oil.

QoS is a lot more complex than just checking a box.

QoS really, really needs to be an end-to-end mechanism anyway. Yes, congestion control on a small residential uplink (which is what the OP wants) can be somewhat beneficial but overall QoS in these cheap consumer devices is snake oil.

It works, as long you keep your expectations within what it can do. Controlling your upstream will help with realtime connections such as VoIP. Just don't expect it to make everything run smooth while seeding a large torrent to 30-50 peers and trying to Skype with grandma.

Yeah, the problem is that upstream realtime traffic is really the ONLY use case for QoS in a residential router. And as the OP states, Linksys removed upstream QoS from their stock SmartWifi firmware.

QoS is a lot more complex than just checking a box.

Considering that internet traffic is "best effort", I am rather astonished that so many demanding services can function so well.

Considering that internet traffic is "best effort", I am rather astonished that so many demanding services can function so well.

You'll love this, then.

I work out of my house. My work-provided voice setup is Cisco Desktop IPC (aka Cisco soft client) running on a 4-year old HP Laptop with Win7. The PC is connected via a VPN tunnel to a VPN termination cluster about 300 miles from here and from there, the soft phone connects to a CUCM cloud service instance more than 1200 miles from me.

There is no QoS at any point in the connection. The VPN runs over my residential 30Mbit fiber connection and because I live in a rural area served by an independent Co-op telco, there are 4 ISPs between me and the VPN gateway. The PC itself sit on my Guest network and because it has an older Intel 6200 AGN card, it usually sits on the 2.4Ghz band connected at 150Mbps.

Despite all of this, my average MOS score for the VoIP stream is between 4.2 and 4.4. :D

Indeed - to different backgrounds, QoS means different things - in the real world, true QoS tagging, as htismage states, we see this as an end-to-end item - it's tagged in the packets at the 802 layer, and as the packets move thru the network, each node needs to support those tags, otherwise everything turns back into best effort.

What many consider QoS these days is more akin to traffic shaping and access control, and it's largely done behind the scenes within the local network...

Indeed - to different backgrounds, QoS means different things - in the real world, true QoS tagging, as htismage states, we see this as an end-to-end item - it's tagged in the packets at the 802 layer, and as the packets move thru the network, each node needs to support those tags, otherwise everything turns back into best effort.

What many consider QoS these days is more akin to traffic shaping and access control, and it's largely done behind the scenes within the local network...

"Quality of Service" is so painfully ambiguous that it could mean almost anything. It is the more recognizable term though, so I (mis)use it myself.

Even without packet tagging, great QoS is possible, but each machine must be pre-configured. No easy ways...

The internet backbones implement the best possible QoS; never use more than 50% of your bandwidth. :)

We implement large private MPLS backbones with class of service tagging, congestion control mechanisms like WRED, and all kinds of traffic policing and shaping mechanisms. Even then, the rule of thumb is to overbuild by at least 30%.

We implement large private MPLS backbones with class of service tagging, congestion control mechanisms like WRED, and all kinds of traffic policing and shaping mechanisms. Even then, the rule of thumb is to overbuild by at least 30%.

So do we... ;)

200Mbps down and 15Mbps up.
With speeds like that I would be astonished if you had performance issues warranting QoS or CoS assuming your router and/or switches were up to the task of providing a stable low latency network to the point of egress.

I'm a little jealous.lol I keep thinking about getting the comcast 250Mbps down / 25mbps up. But I just can't justify $150 a month plus tax just for internet.

My ISP is Bright House Networks and I pay roughly $270.00 a month for internet, cable and phone. I have 6 boxes and 1 is a DVR box.

With speeds like that I would be astonished if you had performance issues warranting QoS or CoS assuming your router and/or switches were up to the task of providing a stable low latency network to the point of egress.

At one time I had 75 down and 5 up and still didn't have any issues with all the devices we have at home.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!