What's new

Why does Linksys Routers no longer have QoS?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I just want increaded upload. 12Mbit down is more than enough for me.

My ~650Kbit upload means ~18ms transmission latency for an MTU-sized packet, meaning worst-case jitter is 18ms. Not bad, but not great.

I hope to get 8Mbit soon, lowering worst-case jitter to ~1.5ms.

For many services, jitter is a bigger problem than RTT latency (assuming that RTT is within spec).

At one time I had 75 down and 5 up and still didn't have any issues with all the devices we have at home.

But did you have any services that required low latency? My modem has about a 650ms buffer when uploading, which is quite painful, depending on what type of experience you are accustomed to. With QoS features, I get ~50ms. Some ISPs, or their CPE devices, have very minimal bufferbloat. A fellow over on pfSense forums has a 100Mbit connection with 1ms ping that literally changes less than 1ms when both up/download fully saturated with torrents, with no QoS. :eek::eek::cool:

I think my favorite QoS tweak is ACK prioritization. With it, you can fully saturate download while fully saturating upload.

Most devices, especially back in the days of 56K dial-up, could not upload while downloading because of bufferbloat delaying the ACK packets. For years, I assumed that multi-second delays when browsing while uploading was just the nature if the beast.

Here are a couple pics from here showing the improvements that simple ACK prioritization can offer during simultaneous upload & download saturation.

Before:
ackpri-norm.jpg

After:
ackpri-priq.jpg

I have 35/5 and don't have any issues, even with simultaneous Facebook gaming and multiple HD Amazon/Netflix streams.

That's the benefit of having ethernet over FTTH. I don't even have a provider modem, the Cat6 drop connects directly to the WAN port on my router. Chicago is probably the closest major hub (at least a 6 hour drive) and my ping is 5ms through my direct provider, their aggregator, and the aggregator's ISP connection to the NAP.

Jitter is usually under 2ms and I use VoIP all day every day without issues.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!