What's new

Why does this happen with my network?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

taylormah

New Around Here
I have three laptops in home and my router is Netgear WPN824v2. One of the three laptops has Intel 4965AGN (11n) wifi card, other one has one from dell (11g), and third one has Atheros AR5005GS (11g) card. The third laptop is few years old now, still running XP while other two laptops are using Windows 7. Now here is the problem: First two laptops when connected to Netgear router work fine, no problem whatsoever. But as soon as the third laptop connects to the router, everything goes awry on the network. All three laptops loose internet connection, ping to the router fails, router's web interface becomes unreachable, ping to the modem through the router fails, and ofcourse ping to sites like yahoo or google also either fails (means it says couldn't find the host), or partially (means at least one ping successfully echoes back) or completely times out. Upon multiple refreshes, sometimes one refresh fetches the webpage, which means that the network doesn't completely just die. As soon as the third laptop is disconnected from the network, few minutes later everything becomes normal again on the other two laptops.

I checked and router has the latest firmware. I tried setting the mode of router to "Auto 108Mbps", "B and G", and also "G only", but nothing helps. I have reset it multiple times, still same issue. Why is this happening??? Why doesn't this router like the third laptop?? Any idea guys??

A live CD inux distro called backtrack which is used for penetration testing has wireless packet sniffing software that you could use to see whats going on.

k

What happens if you connect the problem laptop via Ethernet instead of wireless?

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!