What's new

Why is my DNS 192.168.1.1?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

deadlii

New Around Here
Hey i am using the asuswrt-merlin firmware and i noticed that my dns is 192.168.1.1 i have it set to opendns on the wan page any way to make it not 192.168.1.1?

Hey i am using the asuswrt-merlin firmware and i noticed that my dns is 192.168.1.1 i have it set to opendns on the wan page any way to make it not 192.168.1.1?

i think what you want is actually under LAN -> DNS and WINS Server Setting -> DNS Server

Because the router is acting as a DNS proxy, allowing it to cache queries, and also to handle local LAN name resolution. This is perfectly normal, and actually desirable. The router forwards those queries to the DNS servers configured on the WAN page.

Because the router is acting as a DNS proxy, allowing it to cache queries, and also to handle local LAN name resolution. This is perfectly normal, and actually desirable. The router forwards those queries to the DNS servers configured on the WAN page.
Yeah but is their anyway to shut it off so its direct to the dns servers i set up?

Yeah but is their anyway to shut it off so its direct to the dns servers i set up?

You can set the DNS server returned by the DHCP server under LAN -> DHCP, however you can only enter one server. This will break local name resolution however, so is usually a bad idea.