What's new

Wi-Fi dropping

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Poopee

New Around Here
Hi guys,

Just encountered this today after flashing to the latest merlin 378.50 a few days back. It was fine for the few days up till today.

I have 1 device connecting to the 2.4GHZ and several others on 5GHZ. however today after connecting this 2 frequencies with devices (my pc and my dad's PC) it's having frequent drops (probably every minute) and the wifi signal was lost for both ends. had to keep rebooting the router.

I had restored to factory settings but still the problem persist. Till i stopped the connection to my 2.4GHZ channel then the problem stopped. Any idea on such an issue? problem with my router?

Hi guys,

Just encountered this today after flashing to the latest merlin 378.50 a few days back. It was fine for the few days up till today.

I have 1 device connecting to the 2.4GHZ and several others on 5GHZ. however today after connecting this 2 frequencies with devices (my pc and my dad's PC) it's having frequent drops (probably every minute) and the wifi signal was lost for both ends. had to keep rebooting the router.

I had restored to factory settings but still the problem persist. Till i stopped the connection to my 2.4GHZ channel then the problem stopped. Any idea on such an issue? problem with my router?

You forgot one important piece of information: what router are you using?

I'm also having issues where wifi is dropping out after about a day of uptime. I have to reboot the router for it to work. AC66U, running 378.50, factory reset.

It's also dropping for me on the RT-AC68U running 378.50 (after a factory reset).

It's not daily, but 2/3 times a week. Internet stops working and if I disconnect the wifi I can't connect anymore. Have to do a hard reboot each time.

It's also dropping for me on the RT-AC68U running 378.50 (after a factory reset).

It's not daily, but 2/3 times a week. Internet stops working and if I disconnect the wifi I can't connect anymore. Have to do a hard reboot each time.

The general feedback on the RT-AC68U was rather positive, reporting improvements in wifi performance for that specific model.

On my AC66U the Wi-Fi dropped several times, but only on the 2.4 GHz band (it's behaving like goncalossilva posted).

Never on the 5 GHz as far as I know.

Poopee & goncalossilva, on yours?

The general feedback on the RT-AC68U was rather positive, reporting improvements in wifi performance for that specific model.

Don't get me wrong, wifi performance has been great! It just randomly stops working and needs a hard reboot. I'm unsure if it's just the wifi or the whole router, though.

Am on RT-AC66U.

My 5GHZ seems to be working very fine, just the 2.4GHZ that's causing the disconnection of the whole router now. It dropped probably like 7 times yesterday just suddenly. I can't really find the source of the issue as of now.

Just a quick update:

I have flashed and factory resetted at every firmware (347.49 and 348.50) as well as the latest asus firmware, still the problem exist. It seems like I'm unable to have my 2.4ghz and 5ghz co-exist anymore. Everytime i connect to my 2.4ghz, it will disconnect my whole wifi network. Guess its time to replace the hardware?

Poopee,

are you resetting the router to default after flashing to the new firmware?

Are you manually and minimally setting up the router to only secure it and connect to the internet?

Are you using new ssid's?

Are you hard rebooting the router after a reset to factory defaults by pulling the power plug from the wall (and not rebooting via the gui)?

I have seen a couple of routers that behaved as expected after a reset to defaults, a 'hard' reboot and then doing a reset to factory defaults again. Make sure you are not restoring a saved config file.

How long do you have your router for? I know at least one that has died unexpectedly in very light use.

Poopee,

are you resetting the router to default after flashing to the new firmware?

Are you manually and minimally setting up the router to only secure it and connect to the internet?

Are you using new ssid's?

Are you hard rebooting the router after a reset to factory defaults by pulling the power plug from the wall (and not rebooting via the gui)?

I have seen a couple of routers that behaved as expected after a reset to defaults, a 'hard' reboot and then doing a reset to factory defaults again. Make sure you are not restoring a saved config file.

How long do you have your router for? I know at least one that has died unexpectedly in very light use.

Yep i did. did reset through admin console, did hard reset through holding WPS, reset button, power on and off. still same issues. this router's been with me for a year and half. which is relatively short. My buffalo 54G still going strong after almost 10 years.

Sorry, forgot to add that the one that I saw had died was literally mere days after the 1 year warranty had run out.

You could try flashing a completely different firmware on it like DD-WRT, test if the hardware is working and if so, revert to the RMerlin version again.

Thinking out loud... you have checked that the antennae are on nice and tight?

Can you use something like Deoxit to ensure a good connection?

... My buffalo 54G still going strong after almost 10 years.

Me Too. Set and forget. Wasn't that a great router! :eek::):):D

If I could get that stability from my ASUS.

A single fringe client seems to be dropping frequently also on 2.4. Multiple DHCP requests and reconnects.

Turned off the Universal Beamforming in the 5G professional tab, FWIW, and set static a static IP fo that client, just to see any difference.

Still evaluating.

For everyone having EU router and dropouts/5G disappearing I suggest trying older fw, for me everything was rock solid with my RT-N66U when there was only 4 5G channels and no DFS, but when came more 5G channels, also came DFS and 5G regulation became forced to 802.11d+h, and troubles started. Now I have modified CFE to #a, so 5G regulation defaults to off at any fw, and everything is smooth again, no dropouts, no 5G disappearing.

what router are you using?
o.png

RT-N66U as stated in my post :D

For everyone having EU router and dropouts/5G disappearing I suggest trying older fw, for me everything was rock solid with my RT-N66U when there was only 4 5G channels and no DFS, but when came more 5G channels, also came DFS and 5G regulation became forced to 802.11d+h, and troubles started. Now I have modified CFE to #a, so 5G regulation defaults to off at any fw, and everything is smooth again, no dropouts, no 5G disappearing.

Are you saying you downgraded the firmware and modified the cfe or using 378.50 with modified cfe?

I'll add I'm seeing similar behavior on my RT-N66R. 2.4 wireless becomes unavailable spontaneously. 5 band (and wired connections) stay working with no problem. Occasionally 2.4 will start working on it's own if left alone, but usually, I either reboot the device or flip the 2.4 radio enabled setting on and off. Either makes it stay working for a few days, or sometimes weeks.
This is SECOND device of this model I've had this issue with. Could it be environmental? Heat?