What's new

WiFi 5 to 7 Router Upgrade Questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NismoZ

Occasional Visitor
Currently have a LinkSys EA8500 WiFi 5 router that I have had for 8 years, which does use downlink MU-MIMO and 4x4. We have it centralized in a 2 story house with basement and coverage is good. We have 4 people that could be on the network at the same time, but its only web browsing, productivity and streaming. There is no heavy file sharing or gaming over WiFi, those tasks are hard wired. 600 symmetrical internet connection and would likley never need to go past 1Gbps in the future. The clients are a mix of a 3 WiFi 5 phones/tablets, 2 WiFi 6 phones, 1 WiFi 7 laptop, a few IoT 2.4 devices.

If I move to something like the RT-BE92U that has 2x2 5/6Ghz, will I notice anything with clients losing the 2 extra spatial streams? My thought was that with the new WiFi 6 and 7 technology like OFDMA, MLO, more QAM and channel width, better latency, BSS, TWT, etc, that it would still be better than having an older WiFi 5 router with 4x4. Anything else that I am not thinking about?

Last edited:
You may be better off with a WIFI 6 router as some consider the current WIFI 7 offerings as overpriced and still in beta. Something like an Asus Pro router will give you the 4x4 in the 5 GHz band and will be supported for quite a while. AX86U Pro or AX88U Pro are the most recommended.

You may be better off with a WIFI 6 router as some consider the current WIFI 7 offerings as overpriced and still in beta. Something like an Asus Pro router will give you the 4x4 in the 5 GHz band and will be supported for quite a while. AX86U Pro or AX88U Pro are the most recommended.
Thanks for the recommendations. There are some folks who have gotten the newest Asus WiFi 7 routers, the ones that came out at a lower cost range at $200-300, and they report good MLO use, among other things. Beta is a strong word for WiFi7 at this point and for not much cost difference for those WiFi 6 offerings, I would likely invest in WiFi7 on these 2nd wave releases from Asus. There is an option of waiting another year or so, and there could be WiFi 7 routers released that have 4x4 at $300 or less, but it's not for certain.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!