What's new

WiFi 5Ghz Channel Config/Intel N 7260 Help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Widmark

Occasional Visitor
I have an ASUS RT-AC66U router, an Apple Airport Express (2ng gen, 802.11n/g), and a laptop with the dreaded Intel Wireless-N 7260 card. The 66U is set as the router/dhcp and the Airport Express is in bridge mode.

The 7260 has been terrible on Wifi. It seems much better out of range of the Airport Express when it uses the AC66U. However, when near the Airport Express, I get drops, major throughput degradation, and a card that seems confused. Its almost unusable.

I have the AirportExpress set to use 2.4Ghz on channel 1, and ASUS on 2.4 Ghz channel 9. I am thinking that the 5Ghz channel for the Airport and ASUS should be the same. Can someone help me on whether that makes sense or not?

Any other help perfecting the configuration would be appreciated. Intel says the problem is Windows 8.1 on the 7260. I think the problem is the 7260 hardware, but you guys would know better.

Try rolling back the driver on the 7260 to the initial MS signed driver and see how it performs. Something I've noticed with a couple of my TP-Link routers is that if I use a later version of the Intel driver, it FRACKS the throughput. I'll get 3-4MB/sec. Go with the earlier driver and I get 22-25MB/sec.

One of things that I found in there is that Intel added an option for something like UASP. It is enabled by default (it is some kind of power saving functionality). If I disable it, performance also jumps back up.

This is on 2.4GHz and 5GHz, but it is ONLY with certain routers (my 841nd, my WDR3600 both are impacted. It does NOT impact my Archer C8).

Give that a try, and/or try disabling that UASP thingy under drivers. See if that helps.

PS This is with an Intel 7260ac card, so it may not apply to the 11n version of that card.