What's new

WiFi 6 router optimization guide

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

My thoughts here...

For Security - WPA2/3 is good if your fleet of devices accept it - most do...

It's much like the IPv4/v6 transition - some devices work, some don't - and those are the ones that should be top of the list for retirement...

Don't mess with the Professional Settings
Use SmartConnect
Use WPA2-Personal
Use 20 MHz on the 2.4 GHz with either a fixed channel of 1, 6 or 11 or Auto channel
Use 80 MHz on the 5 GHz with a fixed or Auto channel non DFS.
Let your clients and the router choose which band to connect to. You have a great modern router so let it do its job and enjoy the performance.

Here, I tend to agree for the most part...

SmartConnect can sometimes get confused... for the most it works, but in some environments, it can make some bad decisions..

WPA2-Personal - consider WPA2/3 personal, with PMF optional

20MHz on 2.4, and 80MHz on 5 - spot on...

With 2.4, I always suggest brackets - try 1 or 11 first, and sort from there - with 5GHz - 149 or 40 is a good place to start without DFS support - depends on the region, in some 149 is not available.

I'm not a big fan of ACS - Automatic Channel Selection - as most vendors do a one-shot eval, and don't consider things over time...

My thoughts here...

For Security - WPA2/3 is good if your fleet of devices accept it - most do...

It's much like the IPv4/v6 transition - some devices work, some don't - and those are the ones that should be top of the list for retirement...
In my case, everything. 😜 lol

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!