What's new

wifi 7 10gig nic router question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

redbeard916

Occasional Visitor
on the routers with dual 10g nic, will they work at 2.5g so they can communicate with my 2.5g nic on my computers mobo and on my modems 2.5g nic.. thanks

Wanted to make sure read something saying 10g nic on routers can only operate at 1g or 10g and not 2.5.. like it has auto negotiation issues

The router ports support 10/5/2.5/1 Gbps speeds. Negotiation issues may be caused by cable or the NIC on the other side. Research your modem and PC NIC for eventual negotiation issues with Asus or other routers. The best way to make sure is to try your specific equipment compatibility.

I have the s33 arris modem with a motherboard that has the killer network 2.5g nic on it . Not sure if there's be any issues if I were to get a wifi 7 router to support my 2g internet speeds from isp hardwired that is

That 10 Gig/1 Gig concern is something that I've seen on SFP+ ports. Be sure to read the specs carefully on routers with those, as well as NICs...

Ok I'll break it down . S33 modem to something like the be96u wifi 7 router . I'll plug the modems 2.5 gig port into router 2.5g and then on router the 10g port to my 2.5g port on my PC.. will I get my rated 2 gig speeds still or will it have issue with 10 from router to 2.5g on my computer ? Thanks

They are compatible. Yes you should get your full rated speed. 10 Gbps ethernet (copper) is downward compatible to 5 Gbps, 2.5 Gbps, and 1 Gbps. Since you have a 2.5 Gbps port on your PC there's definitely enough bandwidth for your 2 Gig service. Don't turn on QoS and barring any defect/bugs...

Yes, it'll be fine, all modern 10GBASE-T devices support NBASE-T (which is 2.5 and 5 Gbps).

The issue you've seen is related to older network cards, as they don't, since they predate the NBASE-T standard.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!