What's new

Wifi Adapter for DIR-855

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Faulty or poor i just don't know :mad:

The only thing i can come up with is that all the reviews were done on frimware version 1.10, my router came with 1.11EU on there and the 855 isn't even on the Dlink UK website yet so there is little chance of me getting the 1.10 firmware.

I Would normally run the US firmwares i did that on the DIR-655 but there is a warning on the Dlink US website saying once it has been flashed to 1.11 it cant be flashed back to 1.10.

Maybe that is the key to the back performance ?

Mode Rate (Mbps) Signal (%)
802.11n (2.4GHz) 78 86

That is 1 foot away from the device i had a look when i was changing some settings

Wow! I see your here also with the some questions from the other forum. Remember signal strength will vary, as you did mention that your area is tight with 2.4GHz from those who live nearby you. Don't worry about the warning it can be flashed back to 1.10. Just be careful when you do it otherwise you'll end up with a bricked DOA box.

Why don't you try using the DIR-655 as wireless access point with the DIR-855 or reverse the setup to the other and see what you get. I have two wireless access points along with the DIR-655. 4 wireless laptops are off an one is active showing 84% for Signal which just drop down to 78% crazy. I can't put wireless access point in that area. Now it's back up to 81%. This one I wanted to put N PCMCIA onto it see if that would bring it up a bit. Now it backup to 84% showing in router status. As you can see wireless goes up and down. Just like I had said it's back down to 78%.

Last edited:
Hi,

I have sold the DIR-655 so I can't use it any more, I bought a Belkin N1 Vision to use and so far i have been impressed apart from the fact that it crashed this evening.

Its a gorgous router and the display is just asesome, looks great, performance so far has been excellent as well.

Only had the slight problem of a crash so i will have to keep my eye on that, if it gets into the habbit of doing that once every day or so then it wont live to long around here. The unit didn't feel to hot but it didnt respond and my download bar on the screen just went to 0 and i thought oh.

I have the latest firmware on the device so i hope it was a one off.

I am really hoping it was as it just looks so good, and the wireless on it is quality as well, really excellent coverage and so far my HD files have streamed without error, no stuttering as yet, i even tried it in my spare room and it also worked so keeping my fingers crossed it wont happen again.

At the time when it crashed i was downloading at around 1.3MB\s and watching a you tube video, i think i have around 20 concurrent connections to my Download site, would have thought that wouldn't pose to much of a challenge though. My old netgear could handle it anyway

Oh and hi Tipster you will find that i am a bit of a Forum beast, i like to get as many opinions as i can get :)

Thanks for the links thiggins i will take it onboard and not just keep splashing the cash :)

Last edited:
Hi,

I have sold the DIR-655 so I can't use it any more, I bought a Belkin N1 Vision to use and so far i have been impressed apart from the fact that it crashed this evening.

Its a gorgous router and the display is just asesome, looks great, performance so far has been excellent as well.

Only had the slight problem of a crash so i will have to keep my eye on that, if it gets into the habbit of doing that once every day or so then it wont live to long around here. The unit didn't feel to hot but it didnt respond and my download bar on the screen just went to 0 and i thought oh.

I have the latest firmware on the device so i hope it was a one off.

I am really hoping it was as it just looks so good, and the wireless on it is quality as well, really excellent coverage and so far my HD files have streamed without error, no stuttering as yet, i even tried it in my spare room and it also worked so keeping my fingers crossed it wont happen again.

At the time when it crashed i was downloading at around 1.3MB\s and watching a you tube video, i think i have around 20 concurrent connections to my Download site, would have thought that wouldn't pose to much of a challenge though. My old netgear could handle it anyway

Oh and hi Tipster you will find that i am a bit of a Forum beast, i like to get as many opinions as i can get :)

Thanks for the links thiggins i will take it onboard and not just keep splashing the cash :)

Well good luck with the Belkin N1 routers they have PCMICA N1 cards for it $23 bucks for open box. I really though about buying more belkin products. I had 4 wireless routers from them I to give one to my in-law as it was terrible the other ones weren't so hot as the DNS issue couldn't be solved. But they do make great Ethernet cable and PCMCIA adapters though.

You could build a mini system and run it as your power house wireless router with 10/100/1000 gig uses the latest technology of course it will cost more than buying router. Use Linux OS for the firewall/NAT or better yet Server 2003 or 2008 has NAT features you'll need domain, DNS, DHCP and AD running though. I found that way to be faster, but you could always go one step more with Cisco Catalyst Wireless Router.

I would also really love to here thiggins opinion on which the best Draft N wireless router in terms of stability and wireless performance if possible.

I don't use any draft 11n routers personally, so can't speak for day to day experience. Remember that all these products are still "science experiments" of sorts since the spec isn't settled, the technology is extremely complex and wireless is squirrely enough even without the complication of MIMO.

That said, the DIR-655 is probably one of the better choices.

Hi again,

I should have thought, you have the proper wired setup there so no need for wireless.

I have had the DIR-655, and had a few problems with it, D-link 2.4ghz doesn't like my house for some reason.

I was looking at maybe getting a solid wired router, and then going for a standalone N access point, but that route doesn't seem that much better to me at the moment.

Really stumped now, I'm not having much luck, the Belkin (Ed. See this thread.) is just constantly crashing or disconnecting me, and the 855 has now gone back.

I'm am considering throwing the towel in, but I really need something with solid performance as I am a hardcore gamer, and good wireless N for all my video needs.

:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
No offense intended, but you are on a fool's errand if you are trying to achieve reliable operation for either gaming or HD video from a wireless connection. Wireless doesn't have the reliable, consistent low latency that is essential for gaming. Nor does it have the consistent high (enough) throughput required for HD video.

I do use wireless (a D-Link DGL-4300), but for email and web only... as their makers intended! :)

Hi,

Sorry i should have been clearer, i am not using wireless for gaming, i couldn't do it to myself. The only wireless devices I have are my laptop and Nintendo Wii.

I have a HTPC that has two gigabit NIC's
PS3
XBOX 360

All currently wired, i use the one NIC to connect to the router, the other one connects to the ADSL Modem on a different IP Address range, so i can check my ADSL stats.

That was the reason i need something stable, as I do alot of game hosting, and the Belkin likes to kick people off when were in the middle of a game, my favourite yet is when it tells me on the LCD screen that i have no internet connection when i am playing online. Good diagnostic there i think.

I would like something with Gigabit for my HPTC, good 2.4 wireless and most of all, stability. I really don't ever want the unit to crash on me, my modem never does, so i don't want my router to either.

The router is in the lounge, about 5 feet away from the Wii so that doesn't matter for wireless, plus the only online game i play is mario kart Wii, and that is laggy anyway, with people i play with down the street from me.

This is what i currently have to choose from;

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopSearch.asp?CategoryID=389

Those are all Wireless N cable routers

I don't use any draft 11n routers personally, so can't speak for day to day experience. Remember that all these products are still "science experiments" of sorts since the spec isn't settled, the technology is extremely complex and wireless is squirrely enough even without the complication of MIMO.

That said, the DIR-655 is probably one of the better choices.

Tim you're on G router or A router? Or just going the Cisco Catalyst Router route?

Hi,

Sorry i should have been clearer, i am not using wireless for gaming, i couldn't do it to myself. The only wireless devices I have are my laptop and Nintendo Wii.

I have a HTPC that has two gigabit NIC's
PS3
XBOX 360

All currently wired, i use the one NIC to connect to the router, the other one connects to the ADSL Modem on a different IP Address range, so i can check my ADSL stats.

That was the reason i need something stable, as I do alot of game hosting, and the Belkin likes to kick people off when were in the middle of a game, my favourite yet is when it tells me on the LCD screen that i have no internet connection when i am playing online. Good diagnostic there i think.

I would like something with Gigabit for my HPTC, good 2.4 wireless and most of all, stability. I really don't ever want the unit to crash on me, my modem never does, so i don't want my router to either.

The router is in the lounge, about 5 feet away from the Wii so that doesn't matter for wireless, plus the only online game i play is mario kart Wii, and that is laggy anyway, with people i play with down the street from me.

This is what i currently have to choose from;

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopSearch.asp?CategoryID=389

Those are all Wireless N cable routers

I've see that site prior.. I can't run around trying to find the best router to work with. It took me year or two to get the DIR-655 in my hands. Tim is right about the Draft-N it's still a science project, but prices for the NIC is dirt cheap. I'll still try it out. Though a buddy is like you Carnagerover who's got the top end Netgear Gig N router, cost in almost $200 USD when it came out. Then two months later had DOA issue. So the ran out had go the Linksys Ultra N Gig one, told me the other day he's having DNS issues where the WAN keeps on dropping.

On the other hand I had purchased two Buffalo WZR2-300N one for main router and the second as Wireless Access Point Bridge. Not even 1 week old then the darn thing start to give me WAN and LAN disconnection errors. I had swapped both around making one the main and one the access point then the second one did the same thing. Both were returned cost me $200 but crap!

I had also tried the DIR-615 this year with it's 500MHz Marvel 32MB of RAM 64-bit 8MB for FLASH with A1 hardware. If I had to compare the performance to what I have now DIR-655 both are the same but DLINK doesn't support DIR-615 A1 called un-supportive hardware. So that had to go back and then the DLINK DIR-655 A3 came here and never had any issues except for the 1.20 firmware but I am back to 1.11.

If you buy all the N's now you'll won't see much difference in speed and performance. DIR-655 you had but you'll soon see that was the best choice. The others are not the same..

I had that router for a few years, imported from the US, which was extra sweet as it meant the wireless power was stronger than what it is meant to be here in the UK. My old man still uses it as i gave it to him when i moved out.

I've gone and bought the Linksys WRT610N, by the time i get 5GHz, any problems that may or may not be there will have been fixed hopefully, and i just pray that the 2.4GHz is good enough for what i need.

The Belkin is a crash a minute now, not happy at all and it keeps telling me the internet is down when its not :confused:

I did get a call back from Belkin technical support but i couldn't understand the voice mail that was left so i am just sending this back tomororw.

Just when you couldn't think things could get any worse;

Tonight my Netgear DG834N that i bought back in may has decided to die on me, 3 months old and blam, goodnight Vienna.

So i'm back on my ISP's own brand Speedtouch 780W which isnt the best router i have ever used.

Now i have got to look for a decent standalone ADSL2+ modem that can do ANNEX M, i need that for my game hosting.

Just when i thought the search was over, i would get another DG834N and use it as just an ADSL2 modem but it is a little overkill.

I have seen a D-link ADSL2 modem that does Annex M and works in Bridge mode but i dont know what chipset it has inside.

I know the Netgear uses a broadcom chipset the same one that is in my DSLAM so i get good speeds.

Uhhhhhhhhhhh :mad:

I had that router for a few years, imported from the US, which was extra sweet as it meant the wireless power was stronger than what it is meant to be here in the UK. My old man still uses it as i gave it to him when i moved out.

I've gone and bought the Linksys WRT610N, by the time i get 5GHz, any problems that may or may not be there will have been fixed hopefully, and i just pray that the 2.4GHz is good enough for what i need.

The Belkin is a crash a minute now, not happy at all and it keeps telling me the internet is down when its not :confused:

I did get a call back from Belkin technical support but i couldn't understand the voice mail that was left so i am just sending this back tomororw.

Wow you're had all the routers there is but there are some you haven't even touch on and are cheaper for you than me in pounds. Good reviews. Draft-N 5GHz isn't present yet though although like Tim said all of this Draft-N is still experimental.

Just when you couldn't think things could get any worse;

Tonight my Netgear DG834N that i bought back in may has decided to die on me, 3 months old and blam, goodnight Vienna.

So i'm back on my ISP's own brand Speedtouch 780W which isnt the best router i have ever used.

Now i have got to look for a decent standalone ADSL2+ modem that can do ANNEX M, i need that for my game hosting.

Just when i thought the search was over, i would get another DG834N and use it as just an ADSL2 modem but it is a little overkill.

I have seen a D-link ADSL2 modem that does Annex M and works in Bridge mode but i dont know what chipset it has inside.

I know the Netgear uses a broadcom chipset the same one that is in my DSLAM so i get good speeds.

Uhhhhhhhhhhh :mad:

Boy that's a shame.. I was going to ask you to post some images of your equipment. It's okay you're upset now..

Hi,

When i receive my new stuff i will see if i can take a few pics for you, not much to see really though, i have a little home made cupboard in the lounge (looks better than it sounds) that stores all my networking equipment, and i usually have the main router on top of that. As long as it is not too ugly, otherwise the other half wont let me have it on display :rolleyes:

At the minute the Speetouch isn't looking so HOT :D

Current connected equipment;

2 PC LAN cards
Xbox 360
PS3
Wii
Currently 3x Laptops