What's new

WiFi Issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jebise

Occasional Visitor
I need some help with a weird issue with wifi. I have a main router in the basement and then another on the second floor that acts as a WAP to the main one. At first I thought it was the WAP so i tried a few different routers over the course of a month and all exhibit similar issues. Both routers are running the latest DDWRT with fresh configurations. I have tested all cables and everything with a rj45 cable tester and they seem to be fine.

The issue I have is the internet randomly drops for some wifi connected devices, I say some because other devices continue to work. None of the devices ever disconnect from wifi and the logs on the router shows they haven't during the issue, I have my Nexus 7 and Galaxy Note 3. The Note will be working fine and then for about 30 seconds all pages will stop working yet the Nexus 7 continues to work without issue even if I load the exact same page. The wifi is still connected and i have a IP address, it just makes zero sense what it might be.

is the second router configured as an access point (AP)- either it has that mode or you've turned off DHCP in it, left WAN port unused, etc?

Make each have a different SSID so client devices will be less inclined to flop back and forth between the two.

wifi is not on on the main router, second router is configured as an access point and DHCP is handled by the main router. Since its running DDWRT I have mapped the WAN port as a switch.

I don't think clients are flip flopping between 2.4/5GHz based on the status page of the router, prior to me getting the new N600 router I had a cheapo single band N300 router switch also had similar issues. Yesterday I was trying to use Skype on my phone and it kept dropping, switched to the N7 and I was able to talk for an hour without disconnect. WiFi never disconnects and it says on the same band that it connected to when I enter the house.

It almost seems like it's device specific but still can't figure out why only some devices. The WAP also has a guest network configured and is using Google's DNS servers but still has similar issues. It really annoying and I don't know why.

Last edited:
wifi is not on on the main router, second router is configured as an access point and DHCP is handled by the main router. Since its running DDWRT I have mapped the WAN port as a switch.

I don't think clients are flip flopping between 2.4/5GHz based on the status page of the router, prior to me getting the new N600 router I had a cheapo single band N300 router switch also had similar issues. Yesterday I was trying to use Skype on my phone and it kept dropping, switched to the N7 and I was able to talk for an hour without disconnect. WiFi never disconnects and it says on the same band that it connected to when I enter the house.

It almost seems like it's device specific but still can't figure out why only some devices. The WAP also has a guest network configured and is using Google's DNS servers but still has similar issues. It really annoying and I don't know why.

Sometimes you have to do some googling. Have you switched off mobile data? The problem is widespread with your phone. Google is your friend.

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android-Devices-Samsung-HTC-Sony/Samsung-Note-3-WiFi-issues/m-p/553352

This was just one example, the HTC One also has similar issues. Also I did google Note 3 wifi issues but never came across an article to turn mobile data off. Most settings just said to turn off wifi power save mode which never worked. Lastly turning off mobile data had zero effect. Router shows my phone has been connected for the last 40 minutes and while testing the internet has stalled a few times but never disconnected.

Last edited:
My HTC One (Verizon) does not change to cellular when in use here at home where my WiFi coverage is consistent throughout the areas in which the phone travels around the house.

Also, I have a WiFi router on SSID #1 and an access point on SSID #2. I've told the HTC One which SSID is top of the list of SSIDs and it never chooses #2, as I prefer.

the HTC One switches from home WiFi to cellular as I drive away - about 30 sec. after it loses WiFi coverage.
And vice-versa, as I return home, it switches to WiFi as I enter the driveway.

its the same, it's just weird internet lag and only seems to happen to few android devices from what I can tell. It's to hard to pin point if the issue is occurring on other devices because the delay only last 30 seconds or so.

Pretty sure, if you're using multiple SSID's(guest network) in WAP mode, only the main SSID of each band will function, at least that is the case with stock firmware. Try using only the main SSID's, no guest networks.

Using Google DNS on a WAP? How? It doesn't serve such without being an DHCP server. Make sure that the WAP IP is not in the DHCP pool of the router(unless you assign it a reservation in DHCP), and be sure to setup the gateway address on the WAP.

Flip flop between bands? It cannot, it will only start on 5GHz and roam to 2.4GHz and stay there until you reboot the client.

Pretty sure, if you're using multiple SSID's(guest network) in WAP mode, only the main SSID of each band will function, at least that is the case with stock firmware. Try using only the main SSID's, no guest networks.

Using Google DNS on a WAP? How? It doesn't serve such without being an DHCP server. Make sure that the WAP IP is not in the DHCP pool of the router(unless you assign it a reservation in DHCP), and be sure to setup the gateway address on the WAP.

Flip flop between bands? It cannot, it will only start on 5GHz and roam to 2.4GHz and stay there until you reboot the client.

I turned off 5GHz as I know the issue is with the 2.4GHz band. Although you are right about the main SSID working since the guest SSID relies on the WAN port this is not the case with DDWRT.

The guest network its its own VLAN so it has its own DHCP server and is completely isolated from the main Network and now is using OpenDNS as its DNS rather then the routers DNS.

This is the benefit of DDWRT it turns your consumer router into a enterprise router. I know my configuration is correct based on this and this\

Changing the wireless channel to 6 seems to have helped a bit and the lag seems to happen much less now when using the main SSID.

Last edited:
I know about DD-WRT, but never used a dual band router with it, nor had the need for a Virtual AP(guest network), so wasn't privy to the workings of such. But, couldn't it be that, that still is the cause of your problem? You never said you tried it with the guest network disabled...yes, using just the main SSID, doesn't also mean the guest network is disabled.

Last edited:
I believe I did, a week or so ago but really can't remember (tried so many different settings). I don't believe the cause is the Guest SSID as I have found other reports with this same issue on the DDWRT forums today. I tried 3 new settings today and it seems like its better but will see after a few days of use.

Changed wifi channel to 6 previously was at 1 and prior was 11.
Main SSID is now broadcasting
Upped the sensitivity timing in advanced wifi settings from 2000 to 2500.

If this does not work I will remove all guest configurations to see if it helps. I don't think it will because the last router I used for a WAP was a DLINK using stock FW and had the exact same issues which started this entire ordeal and at that time I was unable setup the guest network since the WAN port was required.

It's not technically WAN port required, more like DHCP server required...the fact that the WAP has a DHCP server running on a VLAN without a main DHCP server running could be the cause.

Last edited:
Sounds like a problem with the Galaxy Note. If there was a problem with the router all connected devices would experience some trouble.

Has anything on the Note changed recently?