What's new

WiFi -> Main building to outbuilding

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dane_b_don

New Around Here
Hi!

My question concerns covering an outbuilding with a medium strength wifi signal broadcast from the main house, some 30 metres away. The router is placed as close as possible to the outbuilding and is mounted half way up the wall. It is a new Jensen "N" router with three antennas. I have disabled WPA and B/G/N mode (set it to just G) to improve performance, seeing as there are no N clients.

My question is this: given that there is poor coverage in the outbuilding at the far reaches, and good coverage at the wall nearest the house, should I make a WDS bridge (i.e. how irritating is the speed reduction) or should I try to replace the antennas on the Jensen router with RadioLabs ones? I noticed someone on this forum warned off the RadioLabs without saying why.

Thanks!

Hi!

My question concerns covering an outbuilding with a medium strength wifi signal broadcast from the main house, some 30 metres away. The router is placed as close as possible to the outbuilding and is mounted half way up the wall. It is a new Jensen "N" router with three antennas. I have disabled WPA and B/G/N mode (set it to just G) to improve performance, seeing as there are no N clients.

My question is this: given that there is poor coverage in the outbuilding at the far reaches, and good coverage at the wall nearest the house, should I make a WDS bridge (i.e. how irritating is the speed reduction) or should I try to replace the antennas on the Jensen router with RadioLabs ones? I noticed someone on this forum warned off the RadioLabs without saying why.

Thanks!

What did you from Radio Labs? Are you going from one Building to another one?

What did I what? And yes, as I mentioned above, I am.

What did you buy from them? Jenson N? So you want to bridge two clients wireless. But the signal is weak?

I'd need some specific product model numbers to know for sure if what you propose will help.

Is the main house router inside or outside? What is the main house and outbuilding construction (wood frame, brick).

Is there clear line-of-sight with no trees or vegetation between the buildings?

If you can, burying a CAT5e cable is simpler and more reliable.

Sounds like the main router is indoors and WB is outdoors.

Hi!

Thanks!
any of the outdoor bridges, one vendor being
demarctech.com

I'd need some specific product model numbers to know for sure if what you propose will help.

Is the main house router inside or outside? What is the main house and outbuilding construction (wood frame, brick).

Is there clear line-of-sight with no trees or vegetation between the buildings?

If you can, burying a CAT5e cable is simpler and more reliable.

The product is a Jensen AL89300 wireless router. Well, the product is two AL89300s. They support WDS and bridging but I'm unsure which mode to use to permit them both to also support wireless clients. I would also prefer if the first AL89300 did not suffer a throughput hit if there are no clients connecting to the bridged/meshed router. Do you see what I mean? That only those clients connecting to the bridged/meshed router have to deal with the slower speeds associated with what I'm trying to do. How to make sure that clients connect to the closest router if they presumably share an SSID?

Thanks