What's new

Wifi Router Question (VPN flexibility)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Shftup

New Around Here
Hey guys/gals

Quick question related to VPNs.

I need to buy a new router for my network (using DIR-655 for last 4-5 yrs).

I live in Canada and would like to purchase VPN to rid the geo tagging and enjoy US media content.
I plan to buy a wifi router that supports VPN to accomplish my goal.

So, router to go to a 24GB port switch, devices include 3 wired computers, tvs, boxes, players, blah blah blah, etc.
Placement of the router is in my basement (has to be as this is where all my network/modem/server rack). I plan to also purchase an AP and place it on the 2nd floor of my home (2200sq ft) for coverage in the house.

Question is, once I add the VPN to get US content, there will be times when I want my own PC to NOT be on the US VPN.

So, based on your experience which dual band router under $130 and how much for the AP? And how do I setup it up so that my personal PC and be on and off the VPN?

Right now I can get a E4200v2 refurb for 60 bux? I was looking at N66, but perhaps its too much for my needs?

Thanks
S

VPN - Dual Networks

If you are willing to connect your main PC to your network using WiFi try the following:

Set your primary network router up as a router which connects to your local ISP. Use WiFi to connect.

Set up another router as an AP with a different SSID. Set this router to run your VPN. It is fairly straight forward to get PPTP to run on a router running DD-WRT.

Then depending on which wireless network you are signed onto you are either local or "USA via VPN".

If you don't want to connect wirelessly then you probably have to plug an Ethernet cable into the router which host the local ISP or the VPN.

Another optionis to look at the Dual Gateway offerings from Sabai Technology. It assigns devices to either the local connection or the VPN based on MAC address. All is necessary to switch a device between the two options is changing a setting on the router. More elegant, perhaps better throughput on the VPN, but certainly more expensive.

I run my streams for video using equipment from Sabai. For my wife's needs to access local servers in Stockholm in Swedish I run a PPTP VPN connection using DD-WRT on a Linksys 54G.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have to think about that one.
Lets say I forget about the option to back and forth on the VPN, what router would suits my needs? along with an AP?

Thanks again