What's new

Will anything replace the ASUS RT-AX88U PRO AX6000 this year?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ApostleTemp

New Around Here
My RT-AC86U is starting to age, and I think it might be nearing EOL (running Merlin?).

The RT-AX88U seems to be the best upgrade for my needs, as it slightly outperforms the RT-AX86U and I can find it for cheaper (under $200) if I'm willing to go refurbished or warehouse deals on Amazon.

Before I pull the trigger on it, is Asus expected to release any routers to replace the AX88U this year?

Looking to stay in the ~$200 range, so please no $600-$700 WiFi 7 suggestions, please. Those are WAY out of budget.

Also, if my AC86U does reach EOL, does Merlin tend to continue pushing security updates? I'd like to make my AC86U an AI Mesh node.

My RT-AC86U is starting to age, and I think it might be nearing EOL (running Merlin?).

The RT-AX88U seems to be the best upgrade for my needs, as it slightly outperforms the RT-AX86U and I can find it for cheaper (under $200) if I'm willing to go refurbished or warehouse deals on Amazon.

Before I pull the trigger on it, is Asus expected to release any routers to replace the AX88U this year?

Looking to stay in the ~$200 range, so please no $600-$700 WiFi 7 suggestions, please. Those are WAY out of budget.

Also, if my AC86U does reach EOL, does Merlin tend to continue pushing security updates? I'd like to make my AC86U an AI Mesh node.
You are talking about the Pro versions as the title says? If so, you can get a new AX86U Pro at Amazon for $201 and you will not have to mess with someones failures. You will not notice the difference between the AX86U Pro and the AX88U Pro...

Actually, RT-BE88U replaced RT-AX88U Pro this year, but it's $400 at the moment.

If that was cheaper, it'd definitely be an option. I'm also not sure if it's available in the U.S. yet, I don't see it on Amazon.

Do you think the AX88U PRO will be officially supported until WIFI 7 routers like the BE88U comes closer to the $200 mark?

Or do you think investing in WiFi 7 now would be worth the extra money to future proof in terms of a longer support cycle?

My partner works from home with government adjacent contract work, so regular security patches are a variable of concern.

Last question, if AI-Mesh is no longer a variable of concern (that's my primary reason for wanting another ASUS), how does the TP Link BE9300 compare to the AX88U Pro? I know the WiFi standards are different, but have there been any real world tests on their respective performance?

I don't see it on Amazon.

See BestBuy US or other retailers, it's surprisingly available for $400 right now.

Do you think the AX88U PRO will be officially supported until WIFI 7 routers like the BE88U comes closer to the $200 mark?

I don't think this model will come down to $200 at any point of time. This is half price compared to introduction price and it doesn't happen around here very often. Support - perhaps around 4-5 years after release for newer models. There will be no more 10 years like the legend RT-AC68U.

extra money to future proof

There is no futureproofing with mostly disposable home electronics. Get what you need now. When you need the features you have spent money on in advance your router will be on EoL list and new perhaps better models will be available. The reason I recommend more often RT-AX86U Pro.

My partner works from home with government adjacent contract work, so regular security patches

Your partner will be just fine with any home router unless the government agency have special requirements. The communication will be going perhaps over secured VPN and general online safety rules plus updated client devices is all you need. The router won't save you if you are careless online.

that's my primary reason for wanting another ASUS

This is what AiMesh does best - selling more Asus routers to existing customers. Otherwise mixed AiMesh with a new Pro model and this old AC-class router will result in limited functionality. The old router on 386 firmware doesn't know anything about the new Pro features in 102 firmware.

how does the TP Link BE9300 compare to the AX88U Pro?

No idea. All new Wi-Fi 7 products come with beta tester licence. You'll be the one to find out of it's good or bad. Based on another thread here on SNB Forums TP-Link provided excellent customer support to another forum member in quickly resolving an issue with their new "mesh" Wi-Fi 7 system.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online