What's new

Will I see a noticeable performance difference?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hdunlavy

New Around Here
I currently have a D-Link DIR-655 (hardware version A3) router. All of my wireless clients have 2.4GHz WiFi components as far as I can tell.

I have been reading about newer routers on this site. I have been considering the Netgear N600 (WNDR3800) router. According to the charts I have been looking at here on this site (a great source of information, BTW, better than anything else I have found), I see the following:

Average 2.4GHz Downlink Throughput

DIR-655 (A4): 28.9 Mbps
WNDR3800: 47.0 Mbps

Average 2.4GHz Downlink Throughput - 40 Mhz B/W

DIR-655 (A4): 29.3 Mbps
WNDR3800: 53.8 Mbps

I have a 12Mbps download, 5Mbps upload DSL connection. I am wondering if I will see any actual difference in performance for web video streaming (predominately Netflix) by upgrading to the Netgear router?

My assumption is that since both the D-Link and Netgear routers have throughput well in excess of my Internet speed, that the new router won't give me a noticable improvement.

Just to complete the technical description, I have a CenturyLink Actiontec Q1000 DSL modem in transparent bridging mode connected to the DIR-655.

Thanks.

Last edited:
That A3 I had it and know for what it was for it's time was grand. But today you need more than 16MB of RAM in those. It's WiFi was limited the new ones today have better chipset.

12mb down you won't seem much changes except whichever router you get you'll a speedy router. Your modem will slow you down. See if you are using the latest modem from your IPS provider. If you rent yours best to call them up and ask. Going from 12mb to 20mb is a huge boost shorter download waits. The higher the number the faster the downloads. Those with the boost feature gives you a short burst from 5 to 10mb, but it doesn't last long though.

What problems are you seeing with streaming now? Netflix is pretty efficient with throughput use. HD streams take only ~ 3 Mbps, 5 tops. So the 655 has enough throughput under strong signal conditions and even as signal weakens.

If your problems are due to interference from neighboring networks, you would be better off seeing if you can find a better channel first. A new router isn't going to help.

The average values in the Charts can be misleading. To see how the products perform at different distances, use the Performance Table.

I can have up to 40Mbps download speed from my Internet provider. I am using 12Mbps right now in order to save a little money.

>>>>>
What problems are you seeing with streaming now?
<<<<<

Good question! So the core issue I am trying to address is buffering within Netflix.

My wife and son do quite a bit of watching on Netflix, often at the same time. My wife complains about Netflix buffering quite bit for her. She has an inexpensive ASUS laptop with a Atheros AR9285 wireless adapter.

My son normally watches on his MacBook (about 3 years old) or the Xbox. The Xbox is connected to the DIR-655 via a PowerLine Ethernet adapter. The MacBook is wireless. He does not have issues with buffering.

I guess I also got a bit excited about the possibility of having 2-band router, and using the 5GHz band for video. Then I realized I don't have any 5GHz clients.

>>>>>
If your problems are due to interference from neighboring networks, you would be better off seeing if you can find a better channel first.
<<<<<

I do have the DIR-655 set to automatically pick a good channel, although I have set it manually also as it does not seem to work that well.

BTW, I just looked at the charts in the link you embedded in your message, and see what you mean by averages being misleading. The performance of the DIR-655 compared to the WNDR3800 looks much better in these charts.

Thanks for the suggestion.