What's new

Will the Orbi system work as strictly APs?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

binarydad

Regular Contributor
My current setup uses my ASUS router as a AP. I'm thinking of getting an Orbi, but heard some systems require the main unit to be the router to handle the mesh capabilities. Is this true? Thanks.

But you dont get the mesh capabilities from the Orbi AP.

Mesh or whatever we call it, I'm referring to being able to use 2 or more Orbis as "one network" and not as a repeater. Can multiple Orbis be set up as in a network where the router is separate?

You can use your router run an Ethernet cable to your Orbi router in AP mode. Then sync as many satellites as you want to your Orbi router.

Orbis support AP mode. This bypasses router features and puts them on the same network as your main router. This is how I use mine.

If you leave Wi-Fi on in your main router, devices should still be on the same network because your router is assigning IP addresses.