What's new

Windows 2008 box as home router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Also make sure your isp doesn't throttle bt ;)

I'm not sure abotu tomato, but dd-wrt will show u the router cpu usage...so may wana try that and see if your router cpu load is very high with bt.

Also make sure your isp doesn't throttle bt ;)

I'm not sure abotu tomato, but dd-wrt will show u the router cpu usage...so may wana try that and see if your router cpu load is very high with bt.

That's a good idea. I guess I could at least SSH into the router and do "top"...

Hmm. Top reveals that the CPU load is never above 15%... That's interesting. Maybe a faster, dedicated solution doesn't necessarily help.

Torrents/P2P software hits "concurrent connections" of a router hard...and the wrt54 doesn't handle many...even with DD or Tomato.

Torrents/P2P software hits "concurrent connections" of a router hard...and the wrt54 doesn't handle many...even with DD or Tomato.
Home network routers dont have sufficient cpu power or RAM available for handling so many connections. I think they're not even using the real cpu.

I suggest you try with something more pro, but not expensive. An Linksys RV042 can manage 60mbit wan connections. I had 4 pc's with running torrents at full 40mbit line and couldnt crash it.

I don't suggest using pc for router. It can handle large connection, but it's not reliable like routers and not so responsive at large loads.