What's new

Wired Router as Internet "Gateway"

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

amtbr

Occasional Visitor
My house was wired such that I have a central internet "hub" in a closet, with my cable lines and ethernet lines that run to various places in my house. Right now I have a wireless router in the closet, but I'd like to get it out of there to improve the signal strength. My idea was to get a wired router to keep all my clutter in the closet (including cable modem, sonos, and a moca adapter) and then setup my wireless router off my home ethernet port in another room.

Will this work? Will I run into problems because I will have two devices routing internet traffic, albeit one wired and one wireless. Are cheap wired routers going to slow down my entire network, since its where my internet "comes in" to my house?

I have always run my house with a wired router and separate wireless APs. I ran a mail server for about ten years which I did not want to go down if I had to work on my wireless stuff. Now I run a wired router and 3 wireless APs to cover my house. I like it better this way.
When you use your wireless router as an AP make sure all the DHCP and router stuff is off. How you do it varies from router to router.

I have always run my house with a wired router and separate wireless APs. I ran a mail server for about ten years which I did not want to go down if I had to work on my wireless stuff. Now I run a wired router and 3 wireless APs to cover my house. I like it better this way.
When you use your wireless router as an AP make sure all the DHCP and router stuff is off. How you do it varies from router to router.

Probably dumb question, but the wireless router would be an AP right? If I were to go this route, I'd just need to switch the router to AP mode?

Yes you turn the wireless router into an AP. If you have a setting for that then it is probably the best way. You know you can leave the wireless on and buy just an AP. It would probably give you more coverage to have 2 wireless APs.

What about the processor speed and specs of the wired router. I have seen on newegg some lower end trendnet ones people complain about speed decrease.

You need to use a router faster than your internet speed. Check this site for router tests.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online