What's new

Wireguard VPN doesn't work, buyer beware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

studmuffin

New Around Here
No traffic will go over VPN even if you use director (per device or net doesn't matter). It flat out will not work. Wireguard sure connects just fine, but Merlin is broken. Openvpn worked fine on stock firmware, but slow as balls.

What a waste of time and $55 (ax58u).

There are plenty on these boards who successfully use WireGuard. As for VPNs being slow, if you have an asynchronous connection you'll either be limited by the processing power of the router, or the slower of your broadband up/down speeds.
*Assuming you are setting the router up as a server and are configuring remote devices as clients.

Elucidate your problem beyond 'Wireguard VPN doesn't work' and I am sure someone will be able to help.

Many people are using Wireguard ... it does work !!!

There are many clever & helpful people in these forums, give them a chance to help before you write off Merlin & all the wonderful addons.

There are plenty on these boards who successfully use WireGuard. As for VPNs being slow, if you have an asynchronous connection you'll either be limited by the processing power of the router, or the slower of your broadband up/down speeds.
*Assuming you are setting the router up as a server and are configuring remote devices as clients.

I know openvpn is slow. Stupid SoCs without AES. But it's the reason for wanting wireguard.
I've seen plenty of threads with the same problem. Maybe it works on older f/w, idk. I want hours of life back from toggling and resetting. TTL script works perfectly 🤣

I've used every custom firmware for many years (I'm 40 😭) and never had such a glaring bug. I don't believe it's Proton as it connects instantly.

Should've just gone pfsense.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!