What's new

WireGuard VPN leaking DNS with DNS Director / RT-AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Groot

New Around Here
I configured WireGuard client in Asus WRT-Merlin (Firmware: 3004.388.8_2). The way I want it to work is that only selected devices are connected via VPN. It works fine, just that devices connected via VPN have DNS leak. I want them to use different DNS (the one provided by Mullvad VPN). I configured it in DNS director; however, there is still a leak. Do you have any idea what's causes this? I want other devices that are not connected via VPN to have Cloudflare DNS.

XUALSmt.png

Hc5OH37.png

jCsNaKV.png

Is the .conf file provided by Mullvad not push dns settings?

you can add in wireguard .conf file this line under [Interface]:

DNS = 1.1.1.1, 1.0.0.1

and set Accept DNS Configuration to Disabled. Which will ignore dns servers pushed by remote vpn server.

Last edited:
This is how the Mullvad .conf looks like this. However, I don't see any option "Accept DNS Configuration" in VPN - WireGuard Client settings.
Code:
[Interface]
# Device: Name
PrivateKey = ##########################
Address = ##########################
DNS = 10.64.0.1

[Peer]
PublicKey = ##########################
AllowedIPs = 0.0.0.0/0,::0/0
Endpoint = ##########################

This is how the Mullvad .conf looks like this. However, I don't see any option "Accept DNS Configuration" in VPN - WireGuard Client settings.
Code:
[Interface]
# Device: Name
PrivateKey = ##########################
Address = ##########################
DNS = 10.64.0.1

[Peer]
PublicKey = ##########################
AllowedIPs = 0.0.0.0/0,::0/0
Endpoint = ##########################
In gui VPN->VPN Client->Wireguard under Interface, there is a field DNS Server (optional). Fill in your Wireguard DNS 10.64.0.1 there and remove these entries from DNS Director as they should not be needed.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online