What's new

Wireless N to Ethernet Bridge Advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PYarr

New Around Here
Hi,

First post in the forums and I just want to say that I think this site is brilliant! First stop whenever I'm looking for advice.

Firstly, the set up I'm trying to achieve:

I have an Asus RT-N56U router sitting under my TV connected to my cable modem. I have a media player (AC Ryan PlayonHD Mini) also under the TV connected to the router. I have also just bought a Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 4 NAS enclosure.

I want to leave the NAS permanently switched on so that I can access remotely whenever I'm not at home, I also don't want it next to my TV as it is just a bit too noisy to have sitting in the living room.

Therefore, I decided to get some powerline adapters that allowed me to place the NAS across the hall in another room. However, I misguidedly bought Belkin's 1Gbps Powerline HD adapters and am now suffering at their extremely fast throughput drop off with distance.

I know I could go for something like the Netgear AV500 adapters that look like they'll perform a lot better, but another thing I noticed with my powerline adapters is that when I turn on any electrical appliance, e.g. my oven, the data throughput plummets further.

Therefore, i'd rather have a wireless solution to replace my powerline adapters. After some research on this site, and others, it seems that a D-Link DAP-2553 will provide me with some super throughput (and it has a 1Gbps ethernet port which I like). Are there any other devices that I should consider?

Cheers,
PYarr

can you use MoCA instead of power line?

And...
Have you eliminated signal attenuators on the AC line near each power line adapter, i.e., don't plug adapters into a surge suppressor power strip; don't plug adapter into same outlet, or an outlet near where a surge suppressor plugged in; and some TVs have an internal surge suppressor (attenuator for power line signals).
And...
If the two adapters are plugged in such that they are on different power phases (US home wiring), you may need a phase signal bridge.

The gigabit port on the WiFi router is for wired speeds. WiFi speeds best case are normally well under 100Mbps. Usually not good enough for streaming H.264 1080i.

I hadn't stumbled upon MoCA until you mentioned it. However, there is no coax socket in the target room.

I have tried almost all possible combinations for plugging in the powerline. If I put the powerline in sockets, in the two rooms, that are physically closest to each other, and therefore furthest from the equipment they are for, I get ~100Mbps. To permanently implement that solution I would have to add long ethernet cables, the point of this exercise is to avoid more cabling. I live in rented accommodation, so I can't just drill holes in the wall/floor to lay more ethernet cables.

Apart from throughput tests I have also been testing a 1080p film to see how it fares. It has a data rate of 17Mbps. The way powerline is currently plugged in I get just over 20Mbps average. Therefore, I get plenty stutter on a 17Mbps file.

Unfortunately, the two ideal sockets that I'd want to use are sockets next to surge protection power extensions.

I live in the UK so hopefully different phases isn't a problem.

I realise the gigabit port is for wires, but if you have a 10/100 port on a wireless bridge you are definitely limited to theoretical 100Mbps, whereas having a gigabit port on a wireless bridge gives the potential to comfortably reach over 100 Mbps which whilst unlikely I reckon is still possible. The position for my wireless bridge will have LoS to my router.