What's new

Wireless N USB adaptor

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sZero

New Around Here
So im planning on upgrading my wireless setup.
First of im getting the linksys WRT160NL router, since the review on here seems pretty good.

And im gonna need a USB N adaptor with it, but what is my best choice for that?

Im not really good with this stuff, all i know is i want the most reliable.

Also im coming from this access point > DWL-G700AP High Speed 2.4GHz (802.11g) Wireless Access Point, but what exactly is the major difference between an AP and a router? And will there be like a major difference?

Thanks, oh and i did a lot of research so please dont link me to a search function. i just dont really know much about this stuff and would like some help

Last edited:
Is there really any point in a "Wireless N USB adapter"? From what I understand the max real life throughput of USB is far below that of wireless N. Which would make this thing basically an expensive bottleneck.

In my NAS tests, I see USB connected drives max out around 22 MB/s, which is well above what most dual-stream N routers can support. Perhaps USB 2.0 will be a limitation for 3 stream N, but I expect you won't be seeing many three-stream USB adapters.

In the end, an N USB adapter will provide higher throughput than a G adapter.