What's new

Wireless (outdoor) USB adapter for camping use.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

preske

New Around Here
I'm looking for a USB wireless adapter for use on a camping. Preferably a outdoor model, but I guess there are other ways to waterproof a regular adapter, like placing it in a weatherproof plastic enclosure.

Here's the situation. With my current laptop, I have zero reception. I borrowed a wireless adapter from a friend, a netgear wna 3100 and with some fiddling I managed to find a hotspot which I could connect to. The hotspot is from my isp-provider (fon-style), so I can login with my account. It was a poor and slow connection, but it worked and was relatively stable.

The higher I held the adapter, the better connection I got. But here lies the first problem. The usb-cable already attached to the adapter is too short. I tried connecting a 5m USB cable to the usb adapter, but it failed. Not sure why.

I am unsure where the hotspot is located, but line of sight shouldn't be much of an issue, nearly every caravan/home is the same height.

Things like repeaters/extenders aren't compatible with my providers setup, so that is not a solution.

Also note, I'm not located in the US, so it should be a model available in Europe. I took a quick look on Amazon and found this, but ultimately I don't know what to look for.

i'd rather leave it in capable hands than buying something which might not work for me to begin with.

Bridges, extenders, repeaters don't work with the hotspot. I just asked the ISP helpdesk again and they confirmed they don't support it.

Bullcrap. A bridge that does not rely on WDS looks just like a wireless client to an AP. It just connects via Ethernet vs. USB.

Alfa Networks AWUS036NHR USB - they have an external SMA connector, so you can put a high gain antenna on it and go from there - the wardriving community loves these - it's a single stream Ralink chipset, so works fine with linux, mac, and Windows...

http://www.alfa.com.tw/products_show.php?pc=34&ps=8

Rokland N3 - similar to the Alfa unit...

http://store.rokland.com/products/the-n3-802-11n-wireless-n-long-range-wifi-usb-for-macs-pcs

They're both high power USB adapters - I usually don't recommend them except in certain cases. They do use quite a bit of power, more than some USB ports can provide, but they provide a y-cable (one for power and comms, the second plug for power only)

If you're in a camper/caravan, you might also consider a hard install bullet adapter - but for something portable, the Alfa or Rokland can do the job

BTW - the Rokland N3 is also rebranded as the BearExtender - some reviews on the unit here on their Website...

http://store.bearextender.com/pages/reviews

sfx

Bullcrap. A bridge that does not rely on WDS looks just like a wireless client to an AP. It just connects via Ethernet vs. USB.

I see. Do I need to take other precautions when using it? Do i need to weatherproof the cable/connections or something? It rains a lot here, and I wouldn't want to damage it.

I know I should have asked this earlier, but would I be able to attach a router to this setup? Usually I'm the only one using internet, but I am planning to go with a coupe of friends and I can imagine they all would like to have internet too. (It is not a necessity, just asking)

Alfa Networks AWUS036NHR USB - they have an external SMA connector, so you can put a high gain antenna on it and go from there - the wardriving community loves these - it's a single stream Ralink chipset, so works fine with linux, mac, and Windows...

http://www.alfa.com.tw/products_show.php?pc=34&ps=8

Rokland N3 - similar to the Alfa unit...

http://store.rokland.com/products/the-n3-802-11n-wireless-n-long-range-wifi-usb-for-macs-pcs

They're both high power USB adapters - I usually don't recommend them except in certain cases. They do use quite a bit of power, more than some USB ports can provide, but they provide a y-cable (one for power and comms, the second plug for power only)

If you're in a camper/caravan, you might also consider a hard install bullet adapter - but for something portable, the Alfa or Rokland can do the job

BTW - the Rokland N3 is also rebranded as the BearExtender - some reviews on the unit here on their Website...

http://store.bearextender.com/pages/reviews

sfx
You say you don't recommend them. Can I ask why? The setup doesn't have to be portable. It only needs to be easy to remove, when we leave the property.
Which brings me to my next question; what is a hard install bullet adapter?

Last edited:
I see. Do I need to take other precautions when using it? Do i need to weatherproof the cable/connections or something? It rains a lot here, and I wouldn't want to damage it.
Sorry. Got a bit carried away and answered before my coffee.. :)

Units like the EnGenius are built for outdoors. The connectors are protected.

I know I should have asked this earlier, but would I be able to attach a router to this setup? Usually I'm the only one using internet, but I am planning to go with a coupe of friends and I can imagine they all would like to have internet too. (It is not a necessity, just asking)
Yes, but it might take some doing. But since you have an Ethernet output, you can connect it to the WAN side of a wireless router. You would need to configure the WAN IP statically in the same subnet.

yes, a client bridge.

Or a USB WiFi adapter in a ziploc baggie (or tupperware), and one or two USB extension cords, water-proofed. You can daisy chain two or so 8 Ft. USB 2.0 extension cables. After that, you can use an active USB extension cable - it regenerates the signal - about 30' with that as I recall.

Best is a WiFi client bridge outside with x number of feet of cat5 cable. If the WiFi AP or WDS access is too far away/blocked, you can buy a client bridge and w/external antenna connector and buy a yagi antenna to improve the link. The $70 engenius outdoor bridges are good and they have a built in antenna with good gain versus a USB adapter's antenna which has no gain.

You say you don't recommend them. Can I ask why? The setup doesn't have to be portable. It only needs to be easy to remove, when we leave the property.
Which brings me to my next question; what is a hard install bullet adapter?

By saying "not recommending" is more for general purposes - more "power" in WiFi is not a good thing, but sometimes it is...

The bullet's I mentioned...

Alfa Tube-U(N) is one - basically it's a permanent bulkhead install - the radio is right next to the antenna, so not much loss... some of them have Ethernet up to them, with either discrete power or PowerOverEthernet (POE) - good for RV's/Caravan's/Truckers - basically permanent - the Alfa Tube-U(N) is actually USB.

http://store.rokland.com/products/alfa-tube-un-802-11n-outdoor-long-range-usb-cpe-adapter-n-male

Other companies sell basically the same unit... so shop around on price - they all come from the same factory somewhere in China..

sfx

Last edited:
yes, a client bridge.

Or a USB WiFi adapter in a ziploc baggie (or tupperware), and one or two USB extension cords, water-proofed. You can daisy chain two or so 8 Ft. USB 2.0 extension cables. After that, you can use an active USB extension cable - it regenerates the signal - about 30' with that as I recall.

Best is a WiFi client bridge outside with x number of feet of cat5 cable. If the WiFi AP or WDS access is too far away/blocked, you can buy a client bridge and w/external antenna connector and buy a yagi antenna to improve the link. The $70 engenius outdoor bridges are good and they have a built in antenna with good gain versus a USB adapter's antenna which has no gain.

The problem is probably getting power out to the bridge and you still have the antenna problem to deal with... plus the weatherproofing, etc...

once that's solved, then ethernet is awesome :cool:

sfx