What's new

Wireless repeater

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

InvisibleRasta

New Around Here
Hello guys i need a wifi repeater. I currently have a netgear ex3700 but i am having issues with it... alot of disconnects and really slow. I have it hanging outside my shed window in a plastic bag for the rain and this way i can get my wifi at 18% strenght.

i been searching a bit in google but i see that some range extenders need to be plugged into the router but this will not work for me as the router is too far and cant use a cable. I am looking for a repeater that will connect to my wifi network and repeat it into a new network.
i have found this outdoor extender:
TP-LINK CPE210 or TP-LINK CPE510

But from what i understand this two need to be attached to a router in my house to give it power trought an ethernet cable. Am i correct?
So basically i would habe to use a router like a TP-Link TL-WR941ND

Other option i found is this: wavlink ac600 but i am not sure if it needs a router or how it works
Whats the best solution? I need a strong antenna to get connected to my main wifi but then not a very strong wifi in the shed as it is really tiny.
Thank you

Keep in mind that a repeater cannot magically boost or increase a weak signal.

Placing the range extender in your shed (or just outside the window) may not be the best option since a wired backhaul is not an option for you. Yes, any devices connecting at that location will have a strong connection locally, but the range extender still has a poor connection to your router.

I don't know the specifics of the models you are mentioning, but just offering some basic advice for REs. Personally, I've tried a couple in the past and found they didn't meet my requirements, maybe you will have better luck.

What router brand and model do you currently have that you are trying to increase the range on?

Best options (excluding a wired connection) include either moving your router closer to the shed to allow a stronger signal or moving the range extender closer to the midpoint between your router and the shed.

Whats the best solution?

If you share details about what ISP connection you currently have, what speeds you expect to achieve, what router you currently use, where the router is located, how far this shed is from the router, do you have line of sight to the shed or it's through few walls, what material the walls are made of, etc... someone may give a good suggestion. Otherwise - no idea what are you talking about.

Well its like 100 meters and two concrete walls. The ex3700 was doing ok but i think with humidity it burned out or something. So i am looking for something similar to the ex3700 but a bit stronger. The router i currently have is the default isp one. I am not willing to replace it. I just need a better repeater than the ex3700. With better antennas. I been looking on amazon but im not sure which one would be better than the ex3700

IMO, with your current router, little to none of extenders can maintain decent connection. Any kind of invesment to a new extender would be a waste.
I think you should consider upgrade your router and get new extender at the same time. Or buying 2 extenders, with one works as access point in between, and the other is at your shed.

And btw, what is your budget?