What's new

Wireless Router buying advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

les anderson

New Around Here
I am looking for a wireless router to serve up media and public internet access to my 2000sq ft home. Right now I have a Linksys wrt-160n and am hoping to improve wireless range and overall performance.

I have 3 TVs connected to to the network via wifi and would like the ability to stream mpeg2 full movie rips to at least 2 TVs simultaneously. Then there are typically 2-5 devices floating around that need access to the Internet in a non demanding way.

I have a Netgear Readynas with a gigabit interface that will connect to the router via cat5e so dlna access on the router is not important. Everything else will be wireless.

I was considering the Linksys e4200 or Netgear wndr3800/4500. The reviews on this site have me confused on the 3800. One of them is average, the other is stellar.

Any advice?

You can skip a lot of angst by not streaming video on WiFi. Instead either struggle to get cat5 to the TVs or use HomePlug AV or MoCA devices to avoid WiFi. There's a forum topic area here on those alternatives. MoCA is best if you have TV coax routing to suit.