What's new

Wireless Router for TiVo, Xbox, AppleTV, more

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rellet

New Around Here
So I've read the reviews and the performance graphs and am looking for someone to check my reasoning:
1. I have a Verizon FiOS coming into the house 15Mbps in, 5Mbps out.
2. The FiOS goes to a Verizon supplied D-Link DI-624 down in the basement which I may replace with Verizon's ActionTec.
3. I'd like to connect the 624 to a wireless router upstairs next to the TV and provide wired connections to the TiVo, the Xbox, and the AppleTV. I think I want to configure the wireless router as a secondary?
4. Also in the room is a Mac Mini that the kids use for games and I'd like that to connect to the wireless router via WiFi.
5. Plus there are some smartphones and laptops that would connect to the wireless router.

Given that all I have is a 15Mbps pipe coming in, I figure I don't need an 11n router, 11g ought to be fine. Am I off-base on that?

So if that's true, I'm looking at the EnGenius ESR9850 or the Asus RT-N13U. But I'd be happy to pay up for the Cisco E3000 or the NetGear WNDR3700 if it would make some difference to my experience.

The Xbox, TiVo, and AppleTV all go to a single TV so it's unlikely they'd all be chewing up a lot of bandwidth simultaneously.

There's a mix of 11n capable devices (e.g., the Mac Mini) and 11g devices (e.g., the older laptops) so I don't think I'd necessarily benefit from 11g.

I do want to be sure that I can use WPA2 wherever possible without taking a throughput hit.

And since the Mac Mini is used for games, I figure I should pay attention to how many connections the router can support. Who knows, maybe the Xbox needs them too.

Am I missing anything here or would I be pretty happy with the Asus or the EnGenius?

THANKS!

New twist: Verizon just provided me with a new ActionTec MI424-WR. Maybe I should just run a long cable from the ONT to my living room and let the ActionTec do everything. Does anyone know anything about it?

Also, I just saw the D-Link DIR-655 for $71. So now that's an option too.

170+ views on this topic - I'm all ears for advice or opinions. Thanks!