What's new

Wireless router for TIVO

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Butch32940

New Around Here
I have purchased a new TIVO and want to be able to view movies from NetFlix and utilize the TIVO. I have been told that I need a 300N dual router. Any suggestions as to what would meet my need.

Streaming video via WiFi? Or is TiVo connected by wired ethernet? The latter is THE way go to. Next best, IMO, is MoCa (see that topic here).

HD TV on WiFi just doesn't happen.

Netflix bandwidth requirements actually aren't that bad, even for its "HD" streams, only about 3-4 Mbps. Netflix' buffering is quite good too. So it's very feasible to have a happy wireless Netflix watching experience.

What are you using for players for Netflix and Tivo?

But distance is an important factor. What is your environment like: distance between router and player, home construction?

I don't know anything about what Tivo streaming requires.

Thanks muc for your response. I'm a newbie and don't know too much about TINO and NetFlix. I think that a wireless router streams to a wireless adapter on the TIVO. I've been told that I need a 300N dual router for the computer. TIVO has a its own add-on adaptor--either a G or a N. I have no choice on that purchase. I want a good N router for my computer but not one that does has features and capacities that I'll never use. Does that make any sense?

I forgot to mention that my computer is about 30 feet from my television.
I don't understand ethernet at all but there's no way I can use a wired connection.

So the Tivo is also used for playing Netflix?

Does the Tivo support both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands? Look in the spec to see if
it says it supports 802.11a/b/g/n. The "a" would indicate 5 GHz band support.

If you want a dual-band router, the NETGEAR WNDR3700 and Cisco-Linksys E3000 are good choices. For single-band, the D-Link DIR-655 or Cisco-Linksys E1000.

I have a Tivo HD with a Tivo wireless G adapter and until recently used a Linksys WRT54GS. Netflix via the Tivo streamed flawlessly for the three years I ran this configuration, never once overrunning the buffer while playing. I recently replaced the Linksys with an Engenius 9850 but kept the Tivo G adapter since I had no reason to upgrade that component.

Tivo's are easy to feed (meaning the bandwidth required is not excessive). As you noted TiVo offers G and single band N wireless adapters, so if you're shopping for a new router just to hook up the Tivo dual band N would have no obvious advantage over single band N. And, based on my experience, an existing G router may be sufficient.

FWIW, I'm pretty happy with the Engenius. Seems like a good value.