What's new

Wireless router to redirect to website

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bengal313

New Around Here
We are looking to install a wireless router in our small community center to give visitors access to wifi. This connection will be open to the public and would like to have the ability open a website as soon as they connect. Mainly an informational site about the center. We are thinking a Cisco wireless router. Any suggestions on which router to get?

HotSpot

You have several options. Here are a couple fairly simple ones.

Purchase a router that comes with DD-WRT installed or purchase a router that will let you flash DD-WRT then set it up to function as a HotSpot. Detailed instructions can be found on the DD-WRT Wiki. The HotSpot firmware will take people that sign on to your WiFi network to a sign on page where you can supply the information you want to.

Another option is to purchase a router with the HotSpot software already installed. One source is Sabai Technology that sells an Ubiquiti router all set up and ready to go for $119. Their technical support of the customized products they sell is outstanding.

Purchasing a router with the HotSpot all set up would be my choice, but if you already have a router that you can set up the HotSpot on you can do it yourself and I believe HotSpot has an application installer you can download from them that will handle the set up.

Unless you have the patience, can follow detailed instructions precisely, and above average computer/networking skills I would avoid trying to flash a router with DD-WRT by yourself. If you make a mistake when flashing DD-WRT you risk bricking your router.

I would go with the routers with the hotspot built in. Can you recommend a specific one? TY

I would go with the routers with the hotspot built in. Can you recommend a specific one? TY

I have never used a HotSpot set up. I did look at trying it on a 54G running DD-WRT.

My recommendation is go to Sabai Technology's web site and look at the HotSpot router they offer. While there might be better routers Sabai's pre sales and technical support are the best I have had ever for any product.

Talk to them about what you want. They will tell you if the solution they are offering will do what you want.

I was thinking about buying some cheap router like the Linksys WRT54G Router and flsah it using the DD-WRT firmware. Does this firmware offer the splash page feature I am looking for?

Don't use a WRT54G if
a) your ISP speed is more than DSL type speeds: 1.5Mbps.
b) you care if you get dependent on features unique to the WRT54G and custom firmware - because the WRT54G won't be available in the near future; they stopped building them long ago. There are other DD-WRT platforms now.

THere are some inexpensive routers with walled garden redirects, I've seen them, but can't recall which have that, and which if any are under $75.

I don't necessarily have to buy the WRT54G. Just need something that is easy to configure and has that specific splash page feature. Recommendation on make and model would be appreciated.

Thank you for suggesting the DD-WRT.

I am currently testing it on a old WRT54G. I got it flashed to the dd-wrt v24-sp2 firmware.

Can someone guide me on how to set it up so that I can set the splash page to an url. I want any device (laptop. ipad, smartphone) that connects to the wifi to be redirected to our website initially.

Thank you everyone. We decided not to go the hack route. Can you guys recommend a router that already have the captive portal feature already built in. Make and model would be great.

Router Linksys WRT54G v6

Wanted to get a captive portal option on this router. Flashed it with.

DD-WRT v24-sp2(7/22/09) micro

Navigated to Services>Hotspot

Nothing there but http redirect option. Could some post a link to the exact firmware I would need to flash this router with a wifidog or other open source captive portal feature.