What's new

Wirless NIC and Vista64.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MyNameIsDan

New Around Here
I've lately noticed frequent packet loss and connection drop from my desktop in my usual doings (gaming & web browsing). I thought this connection was only limited to my desktop, however through various tracert tests and use, my laptop experiences the similar issues (I haven't played around on the laptop long enough to experience connection drops).

Naturally I pointed the blame towards my router (WRT54GS, had it for as long as I can remember), and decided that it was in need of replacement. I've read the articles posted on the stickies and concluded that it was best for me to stick to G instead of upgrading to N to avoid hassle and money issues (Thank you for the various articles, learned a lot about home networking as of late in one sitting :D).

I'm still not 100% sure its my router's fault but I thought its about time I needed to bring in a replacement. I referred to the chart and chose WRT310N.

My current question is, if it wasn't my router's fault it may be the NIC (currently using DWL-G520 with some random atheros driver windows picked up). If that's the case, I am not sure which NIC to grab! I've read around here and there and was informed of the plague Vista64 was brought with when it comes to wireless NIC and drivers. (planning to stick to G for now and upgrade to N when its finalized perhaps).

Any suggestions are welcome, thanks in advance.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!