What's new

WNDR3700 - compatible adapters / cards

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fj2fjr

Occasional Visitor
To take full advantage of a WNDR3700, what adapters best match up. I have a desktop and three laptops that I will need to upgrade the wireless adapters / cards on to match the WNDR3700. The WNDA3100-RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N USB 2.0 Adapter is the only adapter that I found Netgear offers that seems to match up with the WNDR3700. I would prefer an internal solution such as a PCI card for the desktop, a PCI-e or even an ExpressCard for the laptops. The two main reasons that I would prefer to avoid a USB adapter is that I don’t like how they clumsily hang off the USB port, and/or a USB cable is needed to place it for better reception/transmission. I also understand that the compact design of the USB adapters which limits the size of the internal antennas also compromises or limits their range as well. I’ve tried to research this on my own but it can be a bit overwhelming, after all I’m a networking enthusiast, not an engineer. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Intel-based PCIe adapters are the easiest to buy. I use a 5300 Wi-Fi link for all wireless testing.

The best "match" might be an Atheros-based adapter. But I don't know of any that are available for purchase.

Intel-based PCIe adapters are the easiest to buy. I use a 5300 Wi-Fi link for all wireless testing.

The best "match" might be an Atheros-based adapter. But I don't know of any that are available for purchase.

What is the PCIe as opposed to the regular PCI?
Also, is there a regular PCI dual band adapter available (to work with the Netgear 3700)?

Thanks Mr. Easy... that was easy:)

I read your reference to the Wikipedia concerning PCIe. Very enlightening.

As it turns out, my computer has the GigaByte GA-MA78GM-S2H motherboard with the following PCIe slots:

1 x PCI Express x16 slot (The PCI Express x16 slot conforms to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)

1 x PCI Express x1 slot

I wonder which of the two slots would be used for the Intel-based PCIe 5300 Wi-Fi adapter?

Thanks for your help,

Reuven

Neither, actually. The 5300 is actually in mini PCIe format intended for portable devices.

USB Adapter Observations

fj,

If you end up with a USB solution after your search, I can report briefly my observations: My WNDR3700 is on the 2nd floor and my PCs are mostly on the 1st. On the 2.4 GHz band, they all get 300 mbps connect rates readily. But I wanted to run my desktop server on the 5 GHz band to increase the throughput when I do large transfer (backups, printing) from laptop -> router -> desktop (all wireless).

I tested the Netgear WNDA3100, both versions 1 and 2, and a Linksys WUSB600N V1 on 5 GHz. Surprisingly, the almost-superseded WUSB was much better than either of the Netgears. By using both bands I can get about 150 mbps throughput laptop-laptop (measured using the clever j-perf freeware) with a little tuning and over 100 mbps to my desktop, which gets a worse signal because it is behind a big HVAC duct. (Both versions of the NG device had lower peak connect speed and had very choppy xfer rates, like oscillating from 75 mbps to zero every couple seconds, especially on upload. Again, this on 5 GHz.)

I am going to try a WUSB600N V2 next week, which is supposed to be better than the V1 I grabbed dumbly on my outing. Be aware there are issues with the V1: it seems to suck up a lot of USB power and sometimes resets if there is a ripple in the power caused by another device (it seems). And there are not Win7 drivers for it and may not be. So you might seek out a WUSB600N to test, but make sure it is a V2, if you decide on a USB solution.

(Running all the devices on 2.4 GHz lowers the PC-router-PC throughput by about 30-40% -- there's just so much radio bandwidth available. That's why I wanted a real dual-band router. This will not apply if you are just connected to a WAN or to a wired PC.)

(And just for comparison, I got about 13 mbps throughput on Wireless-G previously, so I am pleased with the improvement.)

Good luck,
RA

I purchased the AirLink101 AWLL7025 Dual Band Wireless 300N USB Adapter from Amazon for a total (including shipping) of $26.50.
I am testing it now, but so far it seems to work fine. I am getting 270 mbps on my Netbook, but I am too close to the router. I may have to do some more testing.

http://www.airlink101.com/products/awll7025.php

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!