What's new

WNR2000 - Not Hidden, but Hidden

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

theoldwizard1

New Around Here
Trying to help out a relative get their new PC to connect to their new router, so I have only briefly read a few pages of the manual and only had an hour or so hands on.

Latest firmware in router (automatically checks when you log on). Reset to factory defaults. Manually set to Broadcast SSID (NETGEAR), 300 mbps, WEP, entered Key #1 by hand

Computer A. Brand new Acer with Win 7. Windows see the router (SSID) but when you click on it to connect it say cannot connect.

Computer B. Older HP with Vista. Exact same behavior.

If I manually enter the network info (SSID, WEP and WEP key) AND check the "Connect even if network is not broadcasting" it does connect.

Same then on Computer A.

What am I missing on the router ?

So neither client is prompting you to enter the security key?

Are you sure you applied/saved the security settings on the WNR2000?

Unless you have a good reason, you should be using WPA2 AES security. You actually need to use this if you want to support link rates > 54 Mbps (802.11g speeds) with 802.11n clients.

yes... as above. To add: If the client "associates" to the WiFi router/AP, but cannot obtain an IP address ("limited or no connectivity in Windows"), then there's a mismatch in the encryption mode/key in the client and in the WiFi router.

I suggest: In router, disable encryption all together, temporarily. Then see if clients will associate and get an IP address and access the Web. If so, then we can focus on where the encryption issue is... by next enabling WEP 128 encryption on the router - not WPA. Older PCs may support only WEP128. If this works, you could leave it here. Don't leave encryption OFF of course.

You could also succeed with WEP128 then try WPA with the client - if it doesn't work, fall back to WEP.

Unless the router is in a dorm, WEP128 is good enough. WEP's encryption key on the client is a PITA. Have to enter hexadecimal digits (26 digits if WEP128) - rather than a password phrase. Some people use some clever hexadecimal such as "0D0E0A0D0B0E0E0F" (see the dead beef in that?). Extend that idea to 26 digits. Include something unique like amidst the digits.

In any case, be sure to change the SSID
Broadcast SSID (NETGEAR)
to something non-generic, like your initials or dog's name.
Using a generic like NETGEAR will cause many problems.

So neither client is prompting you to enter the security key?
Correct.

Are you sure you applied/saved the security settings on the WNR2000?
Yes. I did have to manually enter the Key on both PC to get them to work.[/quote]

Unless you have a good reason, you should be using WPA2 AES security. You actually need to use this if you want to support link rates > 54 Mbps (802.11g speeds) with 802.11n clients.
I'm not going to get into a p!ssing contest about what encryption is better. The router is literally located in "the back woods" so someone breaking in is highly unlikely (closest neighbor is 1,500' away).

I did not mention it, but neither machine could connect when encryption was turned off on the router and "Connect even if network is not broadcasting" was turned off on the PC.

I suggest: In router, disable encryption all together, temporarily. Then see if clients will associate and get an IP address and access the Web.
As stated, no connection could be established with encryption turned off.

In any case, be sure to change the SSID Broadcast SSID (NETGEAR) to something non-generic, like your initials or dog's name.

Using a generic like NETGEAR will cause many problems.
Yes, I should have done that.

Not sure why using NETGEAR is an issue, especially with no neighbors.

Trying to help out a relative get their new PC to connect to their new router, so I have only briefly read a few pages of the manual and only had an hour or so hands on.

Latest firmware in router (automatically checks when you log on). Reset to factory defaults. Manually set to Broadcast SSID (NETGEAR), 300 mbps, WEP, entered Key #1 by hand

Computer A. Brand new Acer with Win 7. Windows see the router (SSID) but when you click on it to connect it say cannot connect.

Computer B. Older HP with Vista. Exact same behavior.

If I manually enter the network info (SSID, WEP and WEP key) AND check the "Connect even if network is not broadcasting" it does connect.

Same then on Computer A.

What am I missing on the router ?

Not the router - it's Windows 7 and their Wireless Access Profiles...

Go to Network and Sharing Center

Click on the "icon" above the home network - in the 'set network properties' select the link merge or delete network locations...

welcome to windows 7...

Not the router - it's Windows 7 and their Wireless Access Profiles...

Go to Network and Sharing Center

Click on the "icon" above the home network - in the 'set network properties' select the link merge or delete network locations...

welcome to windows 7...

So that is why I got the same symptoms on a Vista laptop ?

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!