What's new

Would you recommend using Merlin to fix 2.4Ghz channel flakiness?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks @Klueless !

Tried that approach almost exactly as described. My 2.4Ghz has 13 devices on it even though I only own 3. I love in a fairly dense high rise environment, so not much control over the other 10 devices.

I used to live in a 24 unit apartment. The 2.4Ghz channel was oversaturated. If I was more than 15ft from the router I could connect, seems like a strong signal, but no almost no throughput due to the noise level on the frequency. I resorted to 5ghz and a range extended since 5ghz does not have as good of wall penetration. Now I am in a house 3x bigger than the apt and I am not even using the extender and the 2.4ghz works great everywhere on all floors and in the yard.

Thanks @Klueless !

Tried that approach almost exactly as described. My 2.4Ghz has 13 devices on it even though I only own 3. I love in a fairly dense high rise environment, so not much control over the other 10 devices.

I did run my wifi analyzer (one of the cool things I found while investigating - my Mac has a pretty awesome set of network analyzing tools!) and tried channels 1 and 4 as well as 11 out of a Hail Mary Pass, last ditch effort attempt. No joy on any.

Really appreciate the advise and guidance, though. :)

easily fixed, use mac address accept and only put the mac address of devices that are yours, to keep people from stealing/using your wifi

2.4ghz can also be easily "flaky" if there interference, I have friend that cant use 2.4ghz on her property and there is pretty much no other 2.4ghz network near her, there isnt even 5ghz networks near her. 2.4ghz works only when it want too and when does it not really fast, and that is being 2 feet from router.

5ghz on other hand works great give her full bandwidth she is provisioned by her ISP even out in her backyard

Have you tried increasing the beacon interval?

First time poster, been reading a ton of existing posts though. Thanks for all the contributions!

So...I purchased a RT-AC88U about 2 months ago. 5Ghz and wired are incredible. 2.4Ghz worked for a week then things couldn't connect and communicate to that channel. Did some research and set the band to 20Hz and channel to 6. Ta-da! Worked great for 5 weeks. With no changes, it seems 2.4Ghz has gone AWOL once again.

I did a ton of troubleshooting - tried changing the channel, setting to "Legacy", even using the magical Bluetooth Coexistence "feature". No dice.

Before I do a hard reset to factory settings, I was wondering what the thoughts on the forum are regarding increased 2.4Ghz reliability with Merlin.

I figure if I'm going to go through the hassle of a reset and re-establishing my config (I am addicted to MAC filtering), I'd check with this esteemed group to see if this is me grasping and hoping for a solution vs something that might actually work.

Thanks in advance for the guidance and inputs!

Hello all!

Quick update on this and I wanted to close the loop as well.

I ended up getting my router replaced via RMA. ASUS fumbled a couple of times trying to get me a new router (delivered to the wrong address...added 10 days to the delivery) but in the end they came through.

My old router got progressively worse - even the 5Ghz antennas were failing.

The replacement is all I expected the first one to be. I'm finally happy with my purchase.

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions on this forum!

Bill

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!