What's new

Wrong location reporting after installing Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Brucecooper

New Around Here
Hello,
I installed Merlin on my AX86u and now my location is telling me I'm in Georgia when I'm actually in Ohio. Only thing I set up is DNS over TLS the same way I had it on stock firmware. I don't know if this is an issue or something I shouldn't worry about. It tells me I'm in Georgia on any device I have connected now. I only care because it gives me the wrong weather forecast on my devices. Thanks

I installed Merlin on my AX86u and now my location is telling me I'm in Georgia when I'm actually in Ohio.
Normally the location is estimated by the IP address you got from your provider (restarting the router might give you a new one) - have a look here: https://www.showmyip.com/
Can my IP address reveal my exact location?
No, and it would be really scary if it could. Your IP address can reveal the registered location, and other information about your Internet Service Provider, but it’s highly unlikely that it will reveal your exact location. You can check your IP address on multiple websites, and chances are that all of these websites will show different locations. However, some details like your Country, and State can be identified by your IP address.