What's new

WRT1900AC Performance Testing including adapters AC580 AC1200 AC1300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sad that we have routers that can transmit 1300 Mbps on AC mode and the adapters max out at 867 Mbps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I found the Edimax AC1200 USB adapter that is also mac compatible. USB 3.0

The ASUS USB-AC56 Wireless - AC1200 Dual-Band USB 3.0 Adapter is also Macintosh compatible - which is handy if you're using BootCamp to run Windows on Mac...

Sad that we have routers that can transmit 1300 Mbps on AC mode and the adapters max out at 867 Mbps.

Only the USB ones have such limitations. There are PCI-Express adapters that support triple stream 802.11ac.

Very true Merlin. USB 2.0 maxes out at 480 Mbps. So even an AC adapter rated at 867 Mbps is a waist.

USB2 is fine for dual stream. 867 Mbps is the link rate, however the actual data rate is closer to 250-350 Mbps, which is well within the USB 2.0 capabilities.

Not true. Our testing found USB 2.0 did not limit throughput of AC867 adapters.

Network adapters will show their connected rate but not their throughput.

Examples:

PCI Ethernet Adapter:

Connected to network at 1000 Mbit/s
Throughput limited because of PCI bus to maximum 727.34 Mbit/s

PCI-E Ethernet Adapter:

Throughput maximum 937.684 Mbit/s

Network adapters will show their connected rate but not their throughput.

Examples:

PCI Ethernet Adapter:

Throughput limited because of PCI bus to maximum 727.34 Mbit/s

PCI-E Ethernet Adapter:

Throughput maximum 937.684 Mbit/s
Sorry, but I'm not getting your point. SNB testing always measures actual throughput.

Sorry, but I'm not getting your point. SNB testing always measures actual throughput.

Hi Tim,

I was trying to illustrate (not very successfully :)) from my experience that an adapter on a whatever data bus its on; is limited by that data bus's speed.

So Chadster are you saying that windows connection speed will show 867 Mbps but the actual throughput will be lower?

So Chadster are you saying that windows connection speed will show 867 Mbps but the actual throughput will be lower?

Yes its possible if the bus the adapter is connected to can't transfer data at the adapters connection rate. That's why PCI-E is required to get full 1000Mbits/s ethernet.

I was trying to illustrate (not very successfully :)) from my experience that an adapter on a whatever data bus its on; is limited by that data bus's speed.
The bus' PHY rate is the upper performance limit. But for technologies like HomePlug and Wireless, the bus is often not the limiting factor.

Powerline and wireless have very tough electrical environments and complex protocols. Retransmission and protocol overhead limit delivered throughput to speeds far below the PHY rate.

This is exactly why USB 2.0 is not a performance limit for 2x2 AC adapters and 100 Mbps Ethernet often doesn't limit HomePlug AV 500 throughput in typical use.

The bus' PHY rate is the upper performance limit. But for technologies like HomePlug and Wireless, the bus is often not the limiting factor.

Powerline and wireless have very tough electrical environments and complex protocols. Retransmission and protocol overhead limit delivered throughput to speeds far below the PHY rate.

This is exactly why USB 2.0 is not a performance limit for 2x2 AC adapters and 100 Mbps Ethernet often doesn't limit HomePlug AV 500 throughput in typical use.

Exactly, I'm talking about "bus' PHY rate " in the highlighted text above. Am I off subject or something :confused:

USB 2.0 maximum speed is 280 Mbit/s.

If you want to go faster than that on USB you would need to go to USB 3.0

My apologies if I'm off topic :)