What's new

WRT1900AC Spontaneous Reboots, lockups

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Adding DHCP reservations in the Linksys is the exact same process. Copying and pasting from a text file works as well and takes the exact same amount of time.

The only GUI that is significantly slower is Netgear because you actually have to enter a 2nd screen to input the individual reservations.

Wrong. First, the DCHP reservation screen took alot longer than it should to find where they buried it. Second, The Linksys requires an additional field called Device name, then they split the last 2 decimals of the IP address into 2 separate fields. Then the MAC address field. Then you have to click save. Then OK to save the whole thing....and router reboots to save changes. The Linksys takes much more time to set.

BTW, thanks to this normal behavior of Smart firmware...., I am unable to get the router to keep my settings when I set it up on one network(or not on one at all) then connect it to a live network. It resets all of its LAN/WAN and related DHCP settings every-time.

Last edited:
Wrong. First, the DCHP reservation screen took alot longer than it should to find where they buried it. Second, The Linksys requires an additional field called Device name, then they split the last 2 decimals of the IP address into 2 separate fields. Then the MAC address field. Then you have to click save. Then OK to save the whole thing....and router reboots to save changes. The Linksys takes much more time to set.

We can agree to disagree.

I have about 75 DHCP reservations that I have to enter every time I reset a router to factory defaults.

I've done it dozens of times on Asus/RMerlin, Netgear Genie, and Linksys Smart WiFi firmwares.

Time to configure between the Asus and Linksys is comparable. The only clear advantage for Asus is being able to use a shell script and enter them all in about 5 seconds. Configuring either between the GUI isn't quick but neither of them are significantly faster.

Only the Netgear is a clear loser here because of the way their setup process uses nested pages in the GUI.

Tim,

I suggest you put the Linksys Smart WiFi IP Conflict issue in a separate post. It's off topic for this post.

Tim,

I suggest you put the Linksys Smart WiFi IP Conflict issue in a separate post. It's off topic for this post.

It is somewhat related...in that previous posts(if I am not confusing threads) there were reports of the router rebooting or freezing when changing settings in the UI. My additional trouble is that certain settings aren't sticking when they should be, but then I am told that that is normal :confused: Anyway, feel free to move the posts to a separate thread if you want.

I can confirm that mine does has hang, froze, and once or twice rebooted suddenly while I am in the UI , but not often. It does seem to me though that the thing does have to reboot far to often when changing settings normally. Not many settings on my Asus require a reboot. On my N56U router with Padavan, or my Cisco e2000 with Tomato, I almost never have to reboot or wait several seconds for any setting to be applied.

I have had my 2 wifi devices randomly disconnect a few times(I am using the WRT currently in Bridge AP mode) then connect back to my main wifi AP...may just be Windows.

Last edited:
I have about 75 DHCP reservations that I have to enter every time I reset a router to factory defaults.

The thing is, I am not resetting the Linksys at all. It is doing it on its own when it detects a different WAN.

The thing is, I am not resetting the Linksys at all. It is doing it on its own when it detects a different WAN.

Yes I've noticed this behaviour as well and I copied a sample of the serial output showing it take place. It must be by design.

The reset of LAN Ports and probably the WLAN since they are bridged occurs on:

1. WAN connection
  2. Wireless setting changes

As a test I disconnect\reconnected the WAN several times and the LAN didn't come back up. I only tried this once.

This shouldn't be confused with a reboot. When a reboot happens the sysinfo.cgi Uptime will reset and the power LED will go off.

Code:
[COLOR="Blue"]AP-STA-CONNECTED 78:54:2e:1a:1d:82
info: Received event notification_event-device-online with value "303538fc-0735-4466-88e8-351f0407189a".
info: Handled event notification_event-device-online.
info: Received event notification_event-device-online with value "303538fc-0735-4466-88e8-351f0407189a".
info: Handled event notification_event-device-online.[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]reset LAN ethernet port[/COLOR]
[COLOR="blue"]Sun Jun  1 10:08:08 2014 xrac Device is not associated, exiting... 
Belkin ICC Cron job created
info: Received event notification_event-device-offline with value "303538fc-0735-4466-88e8-351f0407189a".
info: Handled event notification_event-device-offline.
info: Received event notification_event-device-offline with value "303538fc-0735-4466-88e8-351f0407189a".
info: Handled event notification_event-device-offline.
AP-STA-DISCONNECTED 78:54:2e:1a:1d:82[/COLOR]

I think I see what you're saying now.

If I configure my Netgear WNDR3700, for example, as LAN 192.168.1.1/24 and the router detects 192.168.1.0/24 on the WAN interface, the Netgear will change the LAN IP address automatically.

What you're saying is that the Linksys is ignoring the third octet. If you assign the LAN as 192.168.1.1/24 and the router detects 192.168.0.0/24 on the WAN interface, it's changing the LAN IP address automatically.

Is that correct? If so, that's definitely a bug.

EDIT: All I was saying with that statement is that I've manually entered DHCP reservations many, many times. I wasn't saying anything specifically about the behavior you noted (the Linksys clearing all of your DHCP reservations).

Last edited:
When a reboot happens the sysinfo.cgi Uptime will reset and the power LED will go off.

I told the Customer Assurance rep on the phone that I was using sysinfo.cgi to gauge whether or not the router went through a full reboot and they immediately escalated my ticket to engineering.

Ok well glad I don't have that issue. Mine been rock solid for 2 months. Good luck.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Ok well glad I don't have that issue. Mine been rock solid for 2 months. Good luck.

Do you ever access the GUI?

If I don't access the web UI, I don't have any issues either.

Only time I actual turn the router off is when my NAT is strict or moderate and that is quite often. I've contacted my Belkin poc about that issue already.

OK, so you're rebooting your router on purpose to solve the NAT issue?

We can agree to disagree.

I've done it dozens of times on Asus/RMerlin, Netgear Genie, and Linksys Smart WiFi firmwares.

Time to configure between the Asus and Linksys is comparable. The only clear advantage for Asus is being able to use a shell script and enter them all in about 5 seconds. Configuring either between the GUI isn't quick but neither of them are significantly faster.

Only the Netgear is a clear loser here because of the way their setup process uses nested pages in the GUI.

Once you get all the settings sorted - might want to back them up for an easy restore..

WebGUI -> Troubleshooting -> Diagnostics Tab - you'll see "Router Configuration" with a backup/restore buttons.

Non-obvious location for this feature - similar to the observation that rmerlin made about the reboot/reset functions.

It's nice to see positive comments regarding the WRT1900AC but with you rebooting your router regularly your results won't help us much.

I know I rebooted manually last night to fix the NAT issue. My uptime was 22 hours. I will try and leave it a few days. Sorry for the confusion guys.

Once you get all the settings sorted - might want to back them up for an easy restore..

WebGUI -> Troubleshooting -> Diagnostics Tab - you'll see "Router Configuration" with a backup/restore buttons.

Non-obvious location for this feature - similar to the observation that rmerlin made about the reboot/reset functions.

I backup my config but I don't restore from backup when flashing new firmware ever. I've done that with every router I've ever owned - flash and configure from scratch. Incidentally, that something Linksys asked me on the phone. They were going to tell me not to restore from backup after flashing but I beat them to the punch.

And yeah, there's some definite weird decisions about settings placement under the Troubleshooting tab in particular.

I know I rebooted manually last night to fix the NAT issue. My uptime was 22 hours. I will try and leave it a few days. Sorry for the confusion guys.

No problem. At least from my standpoint, you suggest that you access the GUI all the time, so you're not experiencing the issue I am.

I backup my config but I don't restore from backup when flashing new firmware ever. I've done that with every router I've ever owned - flash and configure from scratch. Incidentally, that something Linksys asked me on the phone. They were going to tell me not to restore from backup after flashing but I beat them to the punch.

And yeah, there's some definite weird decisions about settings placement under the Troubleshooting tab in particular.

With routers that do auto firmware upgrades they would have to use the previous config and just add to it.

The backup feature should just be used to backup your current firmware settings for quick restore but not for restore after firmware upgrade. After an upgrade another backup should be taken.

You could keep the old firmware backup in case you need to use the Previous Firmware feature. In that case you would reset to factory defaults then upload your known good backup for that firmware.