What's new

WRT610 802.11 G radio vs WRT54G 802.11G radio

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

paulyballs

New Around Here
WRT610 802.11 G radio vs WRT54G 802.11G radio

Does anyone know if the G radio on the WRT610N has a greater range or throughput than the G radio on the WRT54G?

Thanks,
Paul

There is no "G radio" in the WRT610, just an N radio, which also handles G clients.

G technology is well developed and there is no significant difference between products.

So here is very specific question. I have a friend that has TiVo devices in his home that only work on G. He wants to upgrade the WRT54G routers in his home to the WRT610N but only wants to do so if there will be a benefit to the TiVo devices. He particularly asked if the WRT610N will reach the Tivo devices better than WRT54G. I'm thinking that there won't be a difference. You?

No. I don't think there will be significant difference. N routers don't provide improved speed or range with G clients unless you're upgrading from a very old router made with early generation chipsets. And even then, the difference will be slight.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!