What's new

Xbox One Strict Nat Issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

4Leaf

Hello everyone.

Not much to say besides that my nat type is of course strict on my Xbox One. I have never had strict nat issues with my Xbox 360 or with multiple Xbox 360's online at the same time, on the same internet, through the same router.

My question is does any one have any idea as of how to fix this problem?

I've tried some things already like manually port forwarding and even setting my Xbox One into the DMZ. None of these options have worked for me so far. My RT-N66R shows that my Xbox One is indeed using the ports. So maybe this is a Microsoft problem?

Also, I do have UPNP enabled and I do have the internal and external port range starting at 1.

As always, thank you in advance.

Last edited:
It seems to me that If I were to set my Xbox One into the DMZ that it should have an open nat no matter what. That's why I'm assuming that this has to be a microsoft problem. I believe a lot of other people are having the same problem.

The only time i had NAT issues with XB1 is with one specific firmware do to butchered up wifi settings by Asus.

Other wise its Microsoft issue.

Connect the XB1 directly in to router and see if you still have the issue.

Dont forget to power cycle XB1 by unplugging power brick for a min. This seems to be a fix for many issues on XB1, as its more complicated as a PC then just a simple gaming console.

Last edited:
This will sound crazy, and I didn't believe this at first. Like you, I tried everything, DMZ, port forwarding, assigning static IP...nothing worked. Then I stumbled across this:

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_one_support/f/4267/t/1634443.aspx

It seems that changing from "Instant-On" to "Energy Saving" fixed the Strict NAT and now it is Open. This is clearly a Microsoft issue, not your router.

Interesting. I wonder if it could be that they don't properly initialize uPNP ports when coming out of standby (so, those previous forwards have since expired on the router), while a full boot does take care of it.

The only time i had NAT issues with XB1 is with one specific firmware do to butchered up wifi settings by Asus.

Dont forget to power cycle XB1 by unplugging power brick for a min. This seems to be a fix for many issues on XB1, as its more complicated as a PC then just a simple gaming console.

My Xbox One is hard wired in to my router. Also, I've tried the power cycle that you mention by unplugging the power brick. I have also tried holding down the power button while my Xbox One is already turned on until it beeps unlike it normally would from a normal touch of the power button.

Last edited:
This will sound crazy, and I didn't believe this at first. Like you, I tried everything, DMZ, port forwarding, assigning static IP...nothing worked. Then I stumbled across this:

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_one_support/f/4267/t/1634443.aspx

It seems that changing from "Instant-On" to "Energy Saving" fixed the Strict NAT and now it is Open. This is clearly a Microsoft issue, not your router.

Done tried this as well. I keep my Xbox One on Energy saving because I don't like the idea of my Xbox One not turning completely off anyways. lol

Which specific firmware would you be referring to?

Specifically my Xbox One says I am behind a port symmetric nat. Can someone explain exactly what that means?

I had the same problem when mine was hardwired in, but as soon as I unplugged the ethernet cable and hooked it up via WiFi, the problem went away. Not quite sure why that happened, but it's working.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

What is the make and model of the modem?

Did you plug the XB1 directly in to the modem?

You may also need to open the ports on your modem, I have Uverse Internet and had to go into the modem, go to Firewall - NAT/Gaming and enable the Service xbox live 360 and then assign the device as my router's IP address or (WAN IP on the router). Go start up your XB1, check the NAT and if it is still Strict then do the bumpers trick by holding down all the triggers (L1, L2, R1, R2) on the Test Multiplayer Connection results page before selecting Continue, and then you should see an OPEN NAT. I did the Triggers trick by chance, not sure if it made a difference or it just took a bit for the modem to open the ports.

You may also need to open the ports on your modem, I have Uverse Internet and had to go into the modem, go to Firewall - NAT/Gaming and enable the Service xbox live 360 and then assign the device as my router's IP address or (WAN IP on the router). Go start up your XB1, check the NAT and if it is still Strict then do the bumpers trick by holding down all the triggers (L1, L2, R1, R2) on the Test Multiplayer Connection results page before selecting Continue, and then you should see an OPEN NAT. I did the Triggers trick by chance, not sure if it made a difference or it just took a bit for the modem to open the ports.

This thread is a year old and this problem got resolved in a system update that was released around March 2015.