What's new

YazFi YazFi Lite with Router in AP Mode?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'll test this at first opportunity and report back the results
Hi, how’s the testing coming along, if you’ve managed to get to it?
Super curious about the outcome of this one.

k.

This may happen no earlier than mid October. I have some 22K km airlines testing to do in September.

This may happen no earlier than mid October. I have some 22K km airlines testing to do in September.
@Tech9: I'm curious as well to hear results of your testing of extension of Guest Network Pro isolation to non-Pro nodes.

FYI, I'm recently back from 4200 miles of rental car testing for 3-1/2 weeks in September — nine US National Parks, half dozen state parks, and various other attractions. Vacation of a lifetime...

I’m out of the country. About 6K km trip extension.

@Tech9: I'm curious as well to hear results of your testing of extension of Guest Network Pro isolation to non-Pro nodes.
lol I was waiting patiently until mid-October… I mean, if he was keen to put $100 on it (earlier) then presumably the curiosity lingers …😀

lol I was waiting patiently until mid-October… I mean, if he was keen to put $100 on it (earlier) then presumably the curiosity lingers …😀
That's why I asked! It continues to work as designed for me...

Why don't we ask Asus for an official answer what hardware/firmware is compatible with Guest Network Pro?

Perhaps @RMerlin can assist using his more trusted then regular Customer Support channels? We can test few models and get positive/negative results on current firmware, but Asus may want to expand or limit the compatibility in future firmware. Will be good to know what to expect going further. In my opinion there is no technical limitation to add a few preset VLANs just like regular Guest Network 1, but marketing may have different ideas. 🤷‍♂️

Why don't we ask Asus for an official answer what hardware/firmware is compatible with Guest Network Pro?

Perhaps @RMerlin can assist using his more trusted then regular Customer Support channels? We can test few models and get positive/negative results on current firmware, but Asus may want to expand or limit the compatibility in future firmware. Will be good to know what to expect going further. In my opinion there is no technical limitation to add a few preset VLANs just like regular Guest Network 1, but marketing may have different ideas. 🤷‍♂️
Not really any reason to ask the question when I have proven that it works. As long as the primary router has a 3006 firmware build that supports Guest Network Pro, you can connect any AiMesh node with Merlin or Asus 3006.102 or 3004.388 firmware (I have not tried any 386 firmware builds) and push guest networks to those nodes — up to two devices per band per node total. As far as future expansion or limitation of features, we can deal with that when/if it happens.

In my network, I have:
  • GT-BE98 Pro primary router with Merlin 3006.102.2_beta1
    • GT-AXE16000 AiMesh node with Asus 3004.388_24374
    • (2) GT-AX6000 AiMesh nodes with Asus 3006.102_34797
    • RT-AX86U AiMesh node with Merlin 3004.388.8_2
  • 2.4 GHz IoT network: isolated VLAN pushed to (2) GT-AX6000 and RT-AX86U
  • 5 GHz IoT network: isolated VLAN pushed to (2) GT-AX6000 and RT-AX86U
  • 2.4/5/6 GHz guest network: isolated VLAN pushed to GT-AXE16000

Not really any reason to ask the question when I have proven that it works.

Some have proven the opposite.

I replaced it for another EBR63 and that resolved that issue along with allowing me to add all 3 self-defined networks to the node compared with the RT-AX58U running 3.0.0.4, it was only allowing me to add 1 network to the node.

Who is right and what exactly hardware is compatible? ExpertWiFi on 3006 no go? RT/GT on 3006 good? Specific RT/GT only good?

Is there a problem asking the manufacturer for clarification, @RMerlin?

Last edited:
Is there a problem asking the manufacturer for clarification, @RMerlin?
I was asking the same thing. I am still waiting on the teir 2 technical support department to contact me back. Maybe RMerlin works in that department. I spoke with someone in one of the call centers. I could hardly understand them, or maybe they couldn't understand me. What little bit I did understand sounded like the same rhetoric you get when you check the FAQ on Asus website. I definitely don't recommend contacting Asus directly unless you know someone higher than the call centers and teir 2 technical support.

I was asking the same thing. I am still waiting on the teir 2 technical support department to contact me back. Maybe RMerlin works in that department. I spoke with someone in one of the call centers. I could hardly understand them, or maybe they couldn't understand me. What little bit I did understand sounded like the same rhetoric you get when you check the FAQ on Asus website. I definitely don't recommend contacting Asus directly unless you know someone higher than the call centers and teir 2 technical support.
@RMerlin is not an Asus employee.

I am still waiting on the teir 2 technical support department to contact me back.

Let us know what they say, please.

I remember you have multiple different models Asus routers. Any chance to test what works on your network?

I ordered one EGB15 yesterday, but cancelled the order after seeing it has no firmware update from May 2024. Also noticed my RT-AX86U didn't get an update with the recent round of security updates and also has no firmware update from May 2024. In this case it makes little sense to test something 4-5 months old. There is another potential issue I would like to see how EBG15 handles - it's a wired only router with no Professional Wi-Fi settings in GUI. It has General settings only. How this thing manages the extra settings to an attached node? Hmm... the node stays with whatever is the default there? Interesting... needs further investigation and eventually tier 2 tech support calls.... or return to where it came from. 🧐

Let us know what they say, please.

I remember you have multiple different models Asus routers. Any chance to test what works on your network?

I ordered one EGB15 yesterday, but cancelled the order after seeing it has no firmware update from May 2024. Also noticed my RT-AX86U didn't get an update with the recent round of security updates and also has no firmware update from May 2024. In this case it makes little sense to test something 4-5 months old. There is another potential issue I would like to see how EBG15 handles - it's a wired only router with no Professional Wi-Fi settings in GUI. It has General settings only. How this thing manages the extra settings to an attached node? Hmm... the node stays with whatever is the default there? Interesting... needs further investigation and eventually tier 2 tech support calls.... or return to where it came from. 🧐
Yep I am experiencing the same issue with this model router. https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-ZenWiFi-Hybrid-XC5-AX3000/dp/B0CPQZZLYZ/?tag=snbforums-20

It hasn't recieved an upgrade since july of 2023

Oh, this one is truly a special case. No firmware updates at all since initial firmware. 🌈

For what is worth, I was able to propagate guest network pro SDNs from an AX86uPro to an AC86u when set up as mesh.
It allowed 1 network per band and assigned the proper vlan IP addresses to the connected devices. (At least by the web page reporting)

I also have a RP-AC55 extender which also allows its discovery by aimesh and it appears as a node in the app. however, nothing could be propagated to that as it gave a incompatibility message.

Just FYI.